Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled XP Local Admin - Lost Password - Heavy Local Security

Situation:

Lobby PC is used only to go to one website. Autologs in to account with no password. It is almost completely locked through local security policy. Can't even close internet explorer by design. I have tried the linux based password tools from the main part of this site. Upon boot all the accounts except for one are disabled. I reenable all of them and change their passwords to blank but that doesn't work. Even when I reenabled "guest" amongst others and logged back into Windows it said it was disabled. Could be maybe password complexity problem? Maybe I should delete some of the security stuff. Not sure what to delete in the linux apps.

Tried the safe mode local admin thing to no avail. Local admin name was changed.

All I really need to do is get into the network settings so I can change it to DHCP. We switched some network equipment and static info is no longer valid. No sure if there is a way to just get into and change the network settings.

Re: Disabled XP Local Admin - Lost Password - Heavy Local Security

Try to set a password for the admin account, don't just blank it. See if that works. If not, you can always use option #1 from that article.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I changed the password to one that meets complexity requirements. I see that the administrator account named DMN_admin is no longer disabled by looking in Linux. In safe mode I hold shift down and get the log in window but I still can't log on locally. I am going to try the password recovery service as well but it looks to me like the Linux thing is working OK. I guess I could also reset local security by moving the hard drive but that seems pretty invasive.

Comment

I did a repair install for XP and was able to create a new local administrator account. The Local Security policy includes Administrators and locks me out of most things now, even though I can login. I can barely do anything. I know there is a way to do secedit and reset security but if I can't get to a command prompt it's no use. Any suggestions for resetting local security or accessing Network Settings without taking the HDD out of the PC?

Comment

Working...
        X