X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...Deleted "SAM" now can't log on lsass.exe error stops me

Oh My God...
    I soooo need help.
    I ACCIDENTALLY deleted the SAM registry and now I cannot boot up in ANY MODE...Safe Mode...Last known good config...NOTHING...
    HELP!
    I was following a prompt to repair a hard drive issue...and at a point where I was to type in several commands, it first led me through steps to delete, then copy and restore old files...well...in the compand promt, right after typing in:
    delete C:\windows\system32\config\Sam
    I accicentally hit the Esc button...rather than the enter button to move the page to the next line and continue on with the repair and it restarted my PC, now I cannot log on as I receive this error message:

lsass.exe - System error
    Security Account Manager inititalization failed because of the following error...A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    Error status: Oxcoooooo1

I have rebooted from my CD before when I used the repair...and all I had to do was hit ENTER when prompted for my Admin. Password and it went right through....now When I hit ENTER, it tells me the password is NOT VALID and only gives me three tries before shutting down...I have no idea if I even have an Administrator Password.
    It's just me and my husband who use the PC and neither one of us has ever set a password to have to log on...
    HELP?
    I have EVERYTHING on that PC and my son is in Iraq and all his contact information is saved there and I can't access it now...I have no idea how to reach him now...O' God...please I am desperate.
    Please please tell me there is a way to get my PC back up and running without losing my documents files and downloaded programs....
    Thank you
    Apeke

Re: Help...Deleted "SAM" now can't log on lsass.exe error stops me

Who on earth would give you an advise to delete your SAM file as a HD repair procedure? If I gave you an instruction to type in
    Code:
    del *.* /q
    would you do that too????

Now, there may be a solution to this issue, but even if you ca'nt fix it, all you need to do is to reinstall Windows on the same machine. Another option, if everything else fails, is to take the HD out and put as a slave in in a different machine.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you for you response...
      I am unable to reboot from my Installation Cd...What setting in BOOT MODE should be used to access and enable this?
      BTW...to answer your question?
      Who in the world advised me to delete?
      AN IDIOT...obviously...Of whom I will NOT follow adive ever again.
      Could you please help me learn what boot mode I need to set to be able to boot from my DELL Installation CD?
      Thank you.
      Apeke

Comment

I can try, however be warned that since I'm not there with you to see you through this, you might do the worng think (or I might not tell you the right sequence) and you might find yourself without ANY information.

Therefore I strongly suggest you turn to a local computer shop and ask them for help.

If you still want to coninue you will do so at your own risk. Understood?

Find your Windows installation CD and pop it in the CD tray. Configure the BIOS of your computer to boot from CD (if it's not doing so already). Then reboot your computer.

You should then press ANY KEY to go into the setup process, then follow the screen prompts to run a installation or Windows, but make sure you choose a repair installation on top of your old installation.

As I said, I am not in front of your computer so you must choose carefully and remember that if you end deleting your HD you will find yourself in a tighter spot that you're already at.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Also note that it is the second repair option that you need to select. If you select Repair and end up with a black screen, you chose the first Repair. Back out and try again.
          Last edited by biggles77; 15th July 2006, 10:17.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I understand about the repair...Thank you.
            I have done a repair before, but not with this type of issue.
            I have always selected the "R" option which took me into the Recovery Console....clicked #1 for the system to be repaired and then just hit ENTER when prompted for my Admin. Passowrd and then I was able to proceed..

However, now, when prompted for Admin. Password, it will not accept just hitting the ENTER key...I have Win XP Home Edition, only had two users, (myself and my husband) of which were both Administrators, and neither one of us had ever set any admin. Password...
            So, how do I get around this password issue, or is there a way to discover the password it is requiring of me to be able to proceed with the repair in Recovery Console?
            Thank you....

Comment

PS: Biggles...
              What do you mean "SECOND REPAIR OPTION"?
              Aren't the options just , INSTALL or REPAIR?

Comment

If there is already an operating system installed on the PC then it is detected and you are given the option of Repairing the installation or doing a clean install. Repairing in this case basically means reinstall the operating system and keeping any applications you have on your previous installation.

My suggestion is to take the hard drive out, put it in another PC and save all your data so if anything goes wrong you haven't lost stuff. If this data is really as important as it appears then as Daniel has suggested, take it to a reputable computer shop and tell them you need the data. You don't want to dick around with data you can't afford to lose.

Once you have the data recovered and the PC working, install a CD or DVD burner and start making regular backups of your data. Next time it might be a hard drive failure and then you are cactus.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X