ARGH - Rebooted in Safe - now can't log in - can't get out of safe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGH - Rebooted in Safe - now can't log in - can't get out of safe

OK, I'm in a panic. Norton detected a virus and recommended I restart in safe mode and scan again. The way they told me to reboot in safe mode - I should have NOT done this -was to go to start/run/msconfig and change my configuration to restart in safemode. Well NOW I can't log in at all! My pwd doesn't seem to work and I've tried all the previous ones I can remember. I can't restart in regular mode because I changed the settings in msconfig.

HELP!!!!! Any way to get in? I don't have to crack a password if I can just get out of the safemode....I am soooo in a panic...

Using Windows XP don't know SP. Home computer.

Have tried the login recovery tool and I don't have a floppy and the CD didn't work. Can't get it out of safe mode.

LT

[email protected]
    Last edited by icemaiden; 13th July 2006, 04:49.

Re: ARGH - Rebooted in Safe - now can't log in - can't get out of safe

Hi icemaiden,

You've said you can't log back to Windows unless it's in a safe mode.

Once you do log into the system (on safe mode), do you have any access and able to run msconfig again to change it back through the Windows 'start' - 'run' option ? (you should be able to do so).

If so, it might help you to bring it back to a normal booting state once you've changed it back and have rebooted (Use the F8 Key at boot-up the first time and choose the option of a Normal booting mode). If not, try to use the system restore from within the safe mode state - to restore it to the nearest point before the change.

Let me know if it helped, if not, maybe we'll fine another way that works.

Comment

Well,the problem is that I am unable to log in when I'm in safe mode. My pwd will not work. AND since I've changed msconfig to boot in safe I can't get into my computer at all!!! Totally locked out. I can't boot into normal mode, can't change the way it is booting at all.... .

Icemaiden

Comment

Gee I so dislike Norton. Pressing F8 during boot would have given you the Safe Mode boot option. Have you tried NOT using a password when it askes for one?
        If that don't work, when you get the logon/welcome screen, hold down the CTRL+ALT keys and press the DEL key twice. You can they type in a username like Administrator. Try that one without a password.

Post back it they don't work.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X