No announcement yet.

Reinstallation of XP, locked password?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstallation of XP, locked password?

Usually I do not reinstall WIndows if any other possibility is available.

The computer was AD-domain member but was used mainly outside the domain.

I did a (upgrade) reinstall (SP2 slipstreamed XP Pro) but it halted when it tried to install the display driver. After several times I changed the display driver and the reinstalllation went a little longer and started to ask for the administrator password.

The installation never asked for a new administrator password.

I am the system administrator for the AD-domain and I also know all the local admin passwords. None of the passwords I know was acceptable. Any ideas what went wrong?

I have a full NT-backup (incl system state) - it is a little out of date but I could accept it if the drive is not fully emptied. before restoration. I tried to boot with the new UBCD fro Windows 3.0 (based on Barts PE) which includes the Windows native Ntbackup. First I tried to nullify (With the UBCD tools) the admin password (the C-drive was in the middle of reinstallation!) - no result. Then I tried to restore the system state (the C-drive was still in the middle of reinstallation) and the main directories incl root . No result.

Any recommendations?

Re: Reinstallation of XP, locked password?

Is there some precious info that hasn't been backed up on the computer? If not, why not go for the reformat? You'll have a nice clean installation and won't be "inheriting" any problems and clutter that computers accumulate over time....
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
      Is there some precious info that hasn't been backed up on the computer? If not, why not go for the reformat? You'll have a nice clean installation and won't be "inheriting" any problems and clutter that computers accumulate over time....
      That is of course a very KISS solution. Sometimes a KISS solution is the best one. But in this case I thought I cabn learn something new from thiose. That was the reason for my question.

I still prefer to correct problems, clean registry etc without doing the "Format c:" No precious data which couldn't be copied. I am only lazy: reinstalling all the programs, joining again into the domain with the same name etc all that is too complicated.

The only reason I started to reinstall Windows was some problems with the CD-RW drive which I could not repair otherwise. I have to admit the cure was wrong.. Much easier woudl have been juts to replace the defect CD-drive with a good one.

I often joke that the "reformat C:" is usually done by people who don't know anything else. I have very seldom experineced any good reason for reinstall.

With XP the restore previous status is a good additional repair mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by ipronin
        I often joke that the "reformat C:" is usually done by people who don't know anything else. I have very seldom experineced any good reason for reinstall.
        If there's layers of problems and clutter, a reformat, IMHO, is a great solution. Also, first thing I do when I get a new computer is reformat it (unless it was custom built).
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
          If there's layers of problems and clutter, a reformat, IMHO, is a great solution. Also, first thing I do when I get a new computer is reformat it (unless it was custom built).
          I agree with this. Many times i get a user who screws up a computer so badly that it takes less time for me to re-install everything, than to repair it. Its not that i cant repair it, its just not worth my time. I just ghost a new image onto it and finish it, i can have a whole new image rolled out an in use in 2 hours tops.

And yes, users tend to clutter up installations with worthless programs(like that special screensaver crap loaded with spyware that their grandmas cousins aunt sent them), stuff saved in random directories, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X