2003 SBS Password Reset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 SBS Password Reset

I have a 2003 SBS eval server running, and I'm trying to reset the administrator password. It doesn't seem like you can log on to the local machine on SBS 2003, as my domain is the only option that I see. I tried the Emergency Boot CD, and it saw the administrator and guest accounts. I reset the administrator password, and it seemed like it worked, until I rebooted into Windows. My old administrator password worked, not the one I supposedly reset it to. No, I did not forget my password. I am only doing this as a test.... I am assuming that there is no local admin on SBS 2003, and it was trying to reset the AD password, which won't work. Is there any way to do this on SBS 2003?

Thanks for any help.

Re: 2003 SBS Password Reset

That's more or less correct, there's no local admin account. I've never used the "Emergency Boot CD" but I imagine that it's some sort of safe mode and therefore AD isn't running and therefore you actually changed, I'm assuming, the account password used for Directory Restore Mode. You'll remember specifying this password during the AD setup. Having said all that, can't you log on normally and hit ctrl+alt+del and select "Change Password"?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: 2003 SBS Password Reset

Originally posted by JeremyW
      I'm assuming, the account password used for Directory Restore Mode. You'll remember specifying this password during the AD setup.

Having said all that, can't you log on normally and hit ctrl+alt+del and select "Change Password"?
      Thanks Jeremy. I tried AD restore mode, and it's the same password (didn't change with the emergency boot CD). It's a little strange to me, and I'm going to keep fooling around with it when I have more time.

And yes, I can change it by hitting ctrl+alt+del. The whole reason that I am trying this is because I have a potential client that needs an SBS admin password reset. I want to make sure I don't look dumb when I get there!

Comment

Working...
      X