Windows XP Pro Password Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro Password Recovery

hi, i have done alot of research on recovering passwords for NT and i have seen some intresting method but i have not seen one that clearly stats that i can see the password without having to reset it. it would a much more useful if i could just veiw the password and not have to change it, or view the password after i have changed it or somehow be able to get the password exactly how it was before i reset it. is this possible? alternativly, is it possible to make another user admin without having admin rights, basically i need to get admin without changing the admin password...can it be done? thanks alot...dave.
    Last edited by GST_Nemisis; 19th July 2006, 16:38.

Re: Windows XP Pro Password Recovery

i done a bit more reseach and found a program which get the password from the SAM and SYSTEM files. however i now have the problem of getting those files copied. i have read alot about using a boot disk but i need some help. first off the bios have been password protect byt what im guessing is the same password. i have tried alot of the backdoor passwords and none have worked, next i will try a crack, it is an AMI montherboard and i hear there are program for it.if not i guess i will have to do something with the CMOS. anyways...once i can boot a floppy disk, how can i put the files onto a USB drive? i think the SYSTEM file is too large for a floppy so i would need to use a USB drive. i have looked for way of doing this on the net and found this site:

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t6607.html

which looks good however it says "go to the Logical C:" and "Highlight the sam file" i have not yet tried this but i dont think i know how to do it. the main thing is that i get them onto the USB stick. this is because i know they wont fit on the floppy, so can i do copy to drive E:\ or something?

Comment

GST, why not read the welcome note? It points to an article on my site, and there, as one of the options, you'll be able to use a 3rd party website that will either give your your password for free (but you'll need to wait 24 hours to get it) or immediately, for a small fee.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I have helped to write a guide on how to do this on Wikibooks: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Reverse...s_XP_Passwords. Feel free to improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by spoon!
          I have helped to write a guide on how to do this on Wikibooks: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Reverse...s_XP_Passwords. Feel free to improve it.
          Thanks Spoon, I might just do that.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ok well what if i need to get the sam and security files? i have been able to boot from a cd and get NTFS DoS to load but there is another problem, the hard drive is fat32 which means ntfs dos doesnt work for it. i thinking i will have to convert the fat32 drive to ntfs which i can do by typing

convert c:\ /FS:NTFS /NoSecurity

but im not sure whether i need admin permissions or not for that.

if that works i should be able to copy over the sam file though.

i cant do the online thing you said because i cant get internet access at the computer im working on.

Comment

ok i now have the local and network admin passwords, soon the system will be back to working order, hurray!! but first i need to find all the password of the users that are on the network so i can get them back online too. or at least, some specific important users. because these are users it doesnt matter if i wipe their passwords, they can type them in again when they next log on. im guessing i can do something similar to what i have done before by getting the sam and security files that store info for each user. is this correct? where else can i look for these passwords?

Comment

Working...
              X