Oddball dell question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball dell question.

Ok, so i have a new General Manager who brought me this pc to try and recover the local admin password. The computer was on another domain, so there is no way to log into it. He really just wants the data, not necessarily the password, but i think he would prefer the password and get what he needs himself.

It is a dell dimension XPS Gen 2 pc. 3.4 intel proc, 2 gig of ram, 2 120gig drives on a sata controller. It has sata raid built into the controller which is on the motherboard, but whoever configured it last didnt use raid. So the drives go thru the controller, but not in raid. I am having trouble getting any of the linux pw recovery boot disks to see the hard drives, and i dont have anything else sata around here to throw the hard drive on. Its starting to get a bit frustrating, because i have used every recovery disk i can find on the web.

I am thinking about trying a 2nd windows install onto the 2nd hard drive, booting to that, and trying to recover the data from there. I could then set it back up with properly working raid 1 or 0 and build it with a proper install. I dont know the best way to go about it.

Re: Oddball dell question.

So what do you really want? To change the password or recover the data? If you want to get the system setup using the RAID 0 or 1, then the password doesn't seem to be much of a priority since you are going to trash the system anyway. To recover the data the easy way, remove the HDD(s) and put them into another system. Take ownership of the folders and files and save them to a CD or DVD or USB stick etc etc.

Replace drive(s) and setup the system the way you want.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
      So what do you really want? To change the password or recover the data? If you want to get the system setup using the RAID 0 or 1, then the password doesn't seem to be much of a priority since you are going to trash the system anyway. To recover the data the easy way, remove the HDD(s) and put them into another system. Take ownership of the folders and files and save them to a CD or DVD or USB stick etc etc.

Replace drive(s) and setup the system the way you want.
      The easiest solution for me would be to change the password. Then i could let him choose what data he wants and then if / when he wants me to reformat it. My other option is to install Windows onto the 2nd sata drive and take ownership. Either way will work, but the install, take ownership, burn, format process is a lot more time than the password crack option.

EDIT: Found the drivers, got it loaded up, reset password. Didnt work. Blanked it, didnt work. Reset it again to a long password, and it blanked it. Fine with me. Got in, everything is done great boot disk.
      Last edited by tnelson008; 1st July 2006, 22:53.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for posting back with your solution. It is appreciated!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X