X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows NT4.0, need admin password. No floppy, no USB, can't boot from CD

- Apologies in advance for long post.

Hi,

I've looked all over the internet, and throughout this site and forums and I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause. However, if anybody is able to suggest anything which may help here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, we were given a very old ex-work laptop from my housemate's father. It's a Toshiba Tecra 740CDT, running Windows NT4.0 (build 1381) with Service pack 5. The bios is 6.50.

It's quite obviously "not the greatest machine in the world", but we thought it would still potentially be useful as an extra computer for word processing, or maybe accessing the internet or something.

The problem is that it's basically useless without the admin password. You can't install or change anything, set up any network connections etc.

Logging on as a guest is no problem (it was "guest" / "guest", and was written on a sticker stuck to the case).

We've looked at various utilities which should be able to reset the admin password, though they all appear to need a floppy drive or to boot from CD (or an external USB drive).

There isn't a floppy drive, and though there is a CD-ROM drive, we cannot boot from it. The options for boot order in the bios only allows booting from primary or secondary floppy drives or hard drives.

We don't have an installation disc for NT, though we did have a Windows98 one, but again, it won't boot from a CD at all.

There's no USB ports to try and boot from external drives, and though it has an ethernet card, it cannot be connected to the internet or our network because we need admin access to set this up.

We also tried the various renaming tricks with the login / usrmgr / cmd files etc, but none of these have allowed us to do anything (it says it still requires an admin account to change anything).

Are there any utilities which can run from a guest account, which will somehow find / locate / crack / change the admin password?

Anything which uses an installer file of some sort is no use, as we need admin access to install any programs. It would need to be some form of standalone .exe or something.

It doesn't matter if the password finding utility would take several days to find anything. Time isn't really an issue, as the machine is effectively useless at the moment.

Alternatively, is there any method of changing / updating the bios to allow a boot from CD?

There is no useful information and no programs stored on the computer, so it doesn't matter if we have to erase anything or everything.

If any more information is required about the computer / system etc, we'll try and find out for you.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Windows NT4.0, need admin password. No floppy, no USB, can't boot from CD

I think that in NT 4 SP5 you could still rename the Logon Screen Saver to something else while you're logged on as any local user. Try this and tell us if it worked. Do NOT install another NT on it, just follow step #4 an later.

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administ...ogon_trick.htm
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I'll give it a go and let you know what happens.

Many thanks.

Comment

Unfortunately it didn't work.

We had tried this before - and I remember why we couldn't do it - there isn't a "logon.scr" file there at all anywhere.

In C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 the only things relating to "log" at all are various "logview" files, which are probably not what we're looking for here.

In C:\I386\ there is a "logon.sc_" and "logon.wa_", which are the only files on the computer containing the word "logon".

The only .scr file on the computer at all is black16.scr in C:\WINNT (and this doesn't seem to actually work anyway, when set as a screensaver, it gives a message of "kernel32.dll failed" instead of running).

We tried replacing logon.sc_ with the cmd.exe just in case, and it didn't appear to make any difference. We left it on the login screen for a good half hour. After a minute it comes up with the "press CTRL ALT DEL to log in" message, and then just stays like that.

On the plus side, there appears to be no problem with copying / renaming / swapping files etc, so if there's anything else we could change or swap then perhaps this would work.

Any clues?

Comment

We solved it.

Thought it would we best to say so - especially if anyone else has the same problem at any point.

We managed to find a backup of the SAM file in C:\WINNT\repair as "sam._", and ran this through a program called "LCP" available here : http://www.lcpsoft.com/english/index.htm

We found that the password was "systemadmin". I felt like kicking myself after finding that. We've had this useless old laptop for months now, and out of every possible password we could think of, had never tried that one.

Anyway, thankyou very much for responding, and thanks for the article on the main site which set us in the right direction.

Comment

Quinn, thanks for posting back the solution on how you fixed your problem. It is appreciated.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X