No announcement yet.

has anyone used www.loginrecovery.com?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone used www.loginrecovery.com?

I've been reading up on how to change the admin password on XP pro; nordahl-hagen's utility seems to be the most popular, along with EBCD.
    i'm not computer-savvy...at ALL and the fact that my old EFS files might be unaccessible scares the hell outta me. now, i don't even know if i have any of those, i can't remember if i've encrypted anything.
    i want to try the service offered by loginrecovery.com , but i'm very apprehensive about the fact that they will have my information. has anyone used their service and if so, could you please give me some feedback?
    also, i saw somewhere that when booting into linux, if you type nt_pass that will somehow grant access? any thoughts on this?

i'm running off of a knoppix cd...i <3 linux....i'm going to make the switch over if/when i get access back to my computer.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: has anyone used www.loginrecovery.com?

I don't think changing an account password should impact encrypted files which are encrypted with Microsoft EFS.

Deleting an account which is an authorized recovery agent or the private key holder of the encrypted files, on the other hand, would impact EFS encrypted files.

Just as an FYI, I use Locksmith from http://www.winternals.com/Products/A...k/Default.aspx No need to send any private or confidential information to a 3rd party vendor. This tool does cost money though.

Or try this thread:
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=7118

And this link:
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...r_password.htm
    Last edited by jasonboche; 11th May 2006, 23:22.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mudip
      i want to try the service offered by loginrecovery.com , but i'm very apprehensive about the fact that they will have my information

What information? If you use their free service, all they have is:

- Your email address. Use a disposable address like [email protected] or yahoo or whatever.

- Your IP address. Not much of a problem if you have a properly configured firewall. If you have a static IP that you really want to keep away from loginrecovery.com, upload the data with an old-fashioned dialup account, from a different computer (internet cafe, library) or through a proxy like www.abrowse.com .
      make xp behave:

Comment

thanks for the info, i've been on daniel's site for the past week trying to figure all this out. i tried loginrecovery today, and to no avail. apparently my account's security is too high...go figure. i'm going to give nordahl-hagen's program a try.

i wish they would make windows xp for dummies with very pronounced warning signs for times when dummies like myself try to make changes to their computer. for example, "YOU WILL GET LOCKED OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER IF YOU CHANGE YOUR DOMAIN NAME"

Comment

Silly question but if all you did was to change your domain name, can't you just logon locally as the local admin (or any other local user that is a member of the local admins group)?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i've tried that (to log on as a local admin), i think. from reading thousands of forums, i've come to the conclusion that i have no choice but to log on as a local admin. therein lies the problem - i don't have the password for that account. there was a recent thread on this topic and it said to use winternals, which i definetely do not have the funds for.

this laptop was given to me by my university, unfortunately, i never completed checkout. when i called them, they gave me the admin password, but it didn't work. i'm guessing that password was for the domain that my computer was on before i changed it to workgroup.

i just tried nordahl-hagen's utility and blanked the password - i couldn't log on. i tried again and ran the program from loginrecovery, and they sent me msg saying that i don't have an admin password. i'm guessing that means nordahl-hagen's program worked, but i still don't know why i can't log on.

again, there was a very recent thread on this exact problem, about a month ago i think. unfortunately the user hadn't posted whether or not Zeb's suggestion (setting the password to something other than blank) had worked. i'm going to try it now.

thank you all for your input. i will post a msg as soon as i have any developments. hopefully it will limit the amount of head-banging experienced by the next person with this problem.
            Last edited by mudip; 13th May 2006, 00:52.

Comment

I'M IN!!!!! wheeeee! i'm so excited!

ok....so, i ran nordahl-hagen's program, i set a complex password instead of blanking it and i let windows run a diskcheck. i rebooted and and tried the password.

here's the kicker. the password didn't work, BUT, for some reason, now it's blanked and i KNOW i set a password for it. but when i tried a blank field, i got in. i don't know how that worked, but i'm just glad i'm back in!

take care guys, and thanks again for your input.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, glad you're in.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ok....so, i ran nordahl-hagen's program, i set a complex password instead of blanking it and i let windows run a diskcheck. i rebooted and and tried the password.

here's the kicker. the password didn't work, BUT, for some reason, now it's blanked and i KNOW i set a password for it. but when i tried a blank field, i got in. i don't know how that worked, but i'm just glad i'm back in!

you say, i set a complex password instead of blanking it etc.
                  fact is that it is physically possible to set a password but it will never work!! it is even written that you should better blanken. only blankening will work to delete the pass.
                  one has also to know how to write this sign: !(alt +33) because the key-sign is not working, isnt it?
                  there is at least one strange behavior-i forgot which one. you must write something back(to the bootdisk i guess-it must be write-unprotected). then at the end i am always unsure what to do to logout. some steps are not clear enough petter.

Comment

me too! Wheee! indeed.

Thank you guys! I managed to get in thanks to this forum. You are my heros.

Small addition to the procedure though. If your password is set never to expire, do remember to choose to set it to expire (the recovery program gives a default [n] answer - do remember to type y) and then blank the password. Works beautifully.

I'm never changing passwords on university PCs again

Comment

Working...
                    X