Local Administrator Login Not Working After Resetting Pwd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Administrator Login Not Working After Resetting Pwd

After making the mistake of taking my friend's laptop off the domain (from a previous employer) and adding it to a workgroup, she was unable to log in as so many other people have experienced. She is unable to add it back to the domain as she is no longer associated with that company, plus she is now overseas from her previous employer.

The person who was using the laptop did not know the local Administrator password.

I used http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ to reset the password to nothing (blank password). Even though the password reset proceeded successfully I still cannot login.

I then used loginrecovery.com and supplied the Administrator password hash to be cracked. loginrecovery confirmed that there was no password on this account. So it looks like pnordahl's script above worked as expected.

Still cannot login.

I used EBCD to log in and deleted SAM and SAM.LOG. I was unable to delete SECURITY though. When I rebooted, it still had a user's name in the login box (so it remembers the users from somewhere) and the Administrator login (with no password) still did not work.

This is a Windows 2000 Toshiba laptop. I am not sure what (if any) service packs have been applied. There is only one partition on the laptop's drive.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Local Administrator Login Not Working After Resetting Pwd

Hi.
    Just pointing out a VERY common misstake:

CAPS LOCK or wrong keybord setting (English as system default instead of Swedish, Spanish etc.) that doesn't match the physical keyboard when you change the password.

If you have Winternals ERD Commander; Use it.
    It contains the utility Locksmith,
    it WILL solve your ploblem!

Regards, Zeb.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb
      Hi.
      Just pointing out a VERY common misstake:

CAPS LOCK or wrong keybord setting (English as system default instead of Swedish, Spanish etc.) that doesn't match the physical keyboard when you change the password.

If you have Winternals ERD Commander; Use it.
      It contains the utility Locksmith,
      it WILL solve your ploblem!

Regards, Zeb.
      I don't understand? Are you selling ERD Commander or something? I don't have a password so how can CAPS Lock make a difference. If any one else has an idea to my original post, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Hi again.
        No, I'm not selling ERD Commander but are a frequent user of it.
        It resets the password easily without having the password in the 1st place.

""" to reset the password to nothing (blank password). Even though the password reset proceeded successfully I still cannot login. """"

If the computer has a policy setting (local or GPO) that requires complex password then your setting to [blank] won't work.

Try to set the password to 8 characters with numbers and special characters.

Just trying to help, my 1st reply would solve your problem.
        Now I explaines why your efforts didn't suceeded.
        And still recommends my 1st solution but taking my explaination above under consideration your software may work too.

Regards,
        Zeb.

Comment

Originally posted by msams
          I don't understand? Are you selling ERD Commander or something? I don't have a password so how can CAPS Lock make a difference. If any one else has an idea to my original post, I would appreciate it.
          MSams, you came here for help but you insult the person who answers your call. Your answer to Zeb's informative post is NOT much of an incentive for others to reply.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X