No announcement yet.

A little projECT

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little projECT

Hello, I have a project for you guys out there that know their stuff.

Right now at my school we are on a Windows Server 2003 edition where we log
    into a Windows XP Pro/Home edition computer with the username that they have
    given us at the first day of school. We cannot write to C drive or view Security
    settings in the registry. We do not have premissions to install programs, and
    the BIOS is passworded with no physical way of resetting it (It would look awesful
    strange to see a kid opening up the side of a computer).

I want to reset the ADMIN password to just ONE computer so that I can log in
    and give myself a account on just that ONE computer so I can write to C drive
    and windows system folders. I want to be able to install programs.

Is there any way of doing this with the premissions that I have currently? If so
    post below.

Thanks, Eric.

Re: A little projECT

IMHO this is not a good idea!
    Your school will have a network use policy with sanctions for those who break it. I suspect hacking into a PC is a "crash and burn" offence which could, at a minimum, get you banned from the network and at worst, cost you your whole educational future.

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: A little projECT

Indeed, this is not a good idea.

You didnt mention the reason why you should want to install programs... but, as someone who is working in education environment myself i would recommend you to turn to your computer teacher or network administrators regarding computer labs.

Those places are usually separated from "live" network and give more free hands for students to learn and experiement new technologies etc.