Wtd: Recover admin password on SBS2003 with dynamic disks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wtd: Recover admin password on SBS2003 with dynamic disks

My home network domain controller is a Small Business Server 2003 SP1 with mirrored IDE disks - software mirroring, dynamic disks. It's been fine for a couple of years, until one day I changed the domain admin password and mistyped it. Twice. The same way. Sad to say, I've not been able to reproduce the mistype.

Even sadder to say, I also can't remember the local administrator password.

Stop laughing, this is serious .

The obvious trick is to use one of the many Linux boot disks to reset the local admin password, then go in with srvany. This would work fine, except that I can't find a Linux recovery disk that'll work with dynamic disks. Does anyone here have any experience of recovering the local or domain admin password with dynamic disks involved?

Thanks in advance,

- Peter

Re: Wtd: Recover admin password on SBS2003 with dynamic disks

Can you boot in Active Directory Recovery Mode and use the recovery password you set when you installed the system?

If you know it, reboot, press F8 just after the BIOS stage of the boot. You will get a list of options -- choose "Active Directory Restore (Domain Controllers Only)" and you should be able to get in and change the password. It may well be your old (first) admin password.

If you cant do that, let us know and we'll see if there are solutions to the dynamic disk problem

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Wtd: Recover admin password on SBS2003 with dynamic disks

Originally posted by Ossian
      Can you boot in Active Directory Recovery Mode and use the recovery password you set when you installed the system?
      The system will boot in AD recovery mode no problem. If I had that password, I'd be fine. I thought we knew what it was; the snag is that I was talking another family member through the installation (long story), and they mis-set the password. Hence my requirement to reset that password, which is the one that requires me to boot off some non-Windows disk in the first place. If I could get into the AD recovery console, I'd be home and vigorously towelling myself off.

If I have to, I'll take one of the drives out, whack it into my spare USB caddy and bring it into work, where I have another Win2K3 server that should be able to read the disk and grab the SAM hive. At that point, I guess all I need is something that'll crack the SAM. To give you some idea, my last experience with this was l0phtcrack on NT4 in about 2000 - so I'm way out of date! I've avoided this so far due to my distaste for jiggling HDDs around in a rucksack, plus my deep dark Microsoft-hating suspicion that once I take the dynamic disk out of the original machine I'll not be able to re-integrate it.

Thanks for the interest!

- Peter

Comment

Working...
      X