No announcement yet.

Help with booting from cd on W2K Pro

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with booting from cd on W2K Pro

I was given this old computer by a friend, but was only given the password for a user with no administrative rights. Neither I nor the person who gave me the computer knows the administrator password.
    I tried using Windows Password Recovery from I downloaded and burned the image onto a cd on another computer, set the problem computer to boot from the cd-rom first, and followed the instructions. When it got to the step of collecting passwords, it said, "No windows install could be found on your computer. This may be because you have a Firewire, USB, RAID, or SCSI Hard disk. This may also be because you do not have the correct version of Windows installed. This disk only works on Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003, and Vista." The computer does have Windows 2000 pro installed, so I know that's not the problem. I don't know what to do about the former, if that's the case.
    My next step was to try NT Password Editor from I downloaded the file, extracted it, and burned the image to a cd. But when trying to boot from the cd on the other computer, the screen with the system configuration would come up with the line "searching for boot record from cd-rom..." at the bottom, just like with the other program, but would then just start up as usual. When I logged in and tried to view the files, it would ask to insert a disk into the drive. I tried viewing the files on the first computer that I burnt it with, and all the files were there.
    Any suggestions?

Re: Help with booting from cd on W2K Pro

Have you burned the image correctly??

By this i mean burned the iso as an image and not as a data disc

Re: Help with booting from cd on W2K Pro

yes, i burnt it as an image and could view the files on another computer, but not on the one i'm trying to get the administrator's password from.