Bios locked older Dell laptop CPXj 650GT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios locked older Dell laptop CPXj 650GT

Hello, anyone that knows how to disable the Admin Bios password on this laptop without replacing the bios chip?
    Got the board as a replacement from Ebay USA "guarranted" all passwords removed.
    Yeah right! still the board works great after installation (XP) but I am unable to chance settings like the boot order.
    Have tried remove cmos battery for half an hour but as expected did not help, so far havent tried flashing, always risky, it got the latest bios already and thruth is I dont think it help either.
    Current password is a nine character (xxx xxx xxx) and the bios comes from Phoenix.
    Anyone with a simple solution (haha) is welcome to get back!
    Best regards from SWEDEN Scandinavia.
    Last edited by Tamtam; 18th February 2006, 20:10.

Re: Bios locked older Dell laptop CPXj 650GT

Hi Tamtam

This may be the answer to your problems, i have used it once, but i cannot be held responsible if it goes wrong use at your own risk

As you can see there are various ways on bypassing/changing BIOS passwords.
    I have successfully used all of the options below on various computers many years ago. These methods will work on computers of today. I have updated the Standard BIOS backdoor passwords for current computers made as of last week. ( big grin ).
    READ EVEYTHING BEFORE YOU USE ANY METHOD LISTED BELOW.

Basic BIOS password crack - works 9.9 times out of ten
    This is a password hack but it clears the BIOS such that the next time you start the PC, the CMOS does not ask for any password. Now if you are able to bring the DOS prompt up, then you will be able to change the BIOS setting to the default. To clear the CMOS do the following:
    Get DOS prompt and type:
    DEBUG hit enter
    -o 70 2e hit enter
    -o 71 ff hit enter
    -q hit enter
    exit hit enter
    Restart the computer. It works on most versions of the AWARD BIOS.

Accessing information on the hard disk

When you turn on the host machine, enter the CMOS setup menu (usually you have to press F2, or DEL, or CTRL+ALT+S during the boot sequence) and go to STANDARD CMOS SETUP, and set the channel to which you have put the hard disk as TYPE=Auto, MODE=AUTO, then SAVE & EXIT SETUP. Now you have access to the hard disk.

Standard BIOS backdoor passwords
    The first, less invasive, attempt to bypass a BIOS password is to try on of these standard manufacturer's backdoor passwords:
    AWARD BIOS
    AWARD SW, AWARD_SW, Award SW, AWARD PW, _award, awkward, J64, j256, j262, j332, j322, 01322222, 589589, 589721, 595595, 598598, HLT, SER, SKY_FOX, aLLy, aLLY, Condo, CONCAT, TTPTHA, aPAf, HLT, KDD, ZBAAACA, ZAAADA, ZJAAADC, djonet, %шесть пpобелов%, %девять пpобелов%
    AMI BIOS
    AMI, A.M.I., AMI SW, AMI_SW, BIOS, PASSWORD, HEWITT RAND, Oder
    Other passwords you may try (for AMI/AWARD or other BIOSes)
    LKWPETER, lkwpeter, BIOSTAR, biostar, BIOSSTAR, biosstar, ALFAROME, Syxz, Wodj
    Note that the key associated to "_" in the US keyboard corresponds to "?" in some European keyboards (such as Italian and German ones), so -- for example -- you should type AWARD?SW when using those keyboards. Also remember that passwords are Case Sensitive. The last two passwords in the AWARD BIOS list are in Russian.

Flashing BIOS via software
    If you have access to the computer when it's turned on, you could try one of those programs that remove the password from the BIOS, by invalidating its memory.
    However, it might happen you don't have one of those programs when you have access to the computer, so you'd better learn how to do manually what they do. You can reset the BIOS to its default values using the MS-DOS tool DEBUG (type DEBUG at the command prompt. You'd better do it in pure MS-DOS mode, not from a MS-DOS shell window in Windows). Once you are in the debug environment enter the following commands:
    AMI/AWARD BIOS
    O 70 17
    O 71 17
    Q
    PHOENIX BIOS
    O 70 FF
    O 71 17
    Q
    GENERIC
    Invalidates CMOS RAM.
    Should work on all AT motherboards
    (XT motherboards don't have CMOS)
    O 70 2E
    O 71 FF
    Q
    Note that the first letter is a "O" not the number "0". The numbers which follow are two bytes in hex format.

Ps there is more to this doc but it would not fit on the page

Regards

From Cornwall UK

Comment

URL DELETED BY MOD
      That will help.
      Last edited by danielp; 2nd June 2006, 03:11.

Comment

This is a link to a personal site selling a product to fix the above problem. While the product possibly works, the poster has made no mention of his commercial involvement. In this case, I think the link should be removed or a fee paid for advertising this product.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Dell_BIOS
          URL DELETED BY MOD
          That will help.
          You do this again, you go home.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well biggles, you yourself posted a link to dellpassword site in this thread http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...0719#post30719

Here is some reading for you.
            /http://members.lycos.co.uk/d35b595b/
            /http://www.dellpassword.net.ms/
            /http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...S earch&meta=
            Site sponsors ???

And just how much does the "fee paid for advertising this product" cost? And what does this fee give me right to? Posting the url once? One in every thread where someone needs help with a dell laptop? As many times as I like in any thread? In my sig? It would be nice to know the terms of such an arrangement dont you think?
            Last edited by Dell_BIOS; 2nd June 2006, 16:00.

Comment

Difference is that I don't own the sites I list therefore I have no commercial gain in suggesting them. I also supplied more than one site for consideration.

If you had been upfront with your post and said that it was your site and for a fee you could supply an unlock for the BIOS then maybe just maybe a different view could have been taken. Instead all that is posted is a link. You are caught in a grey area and you really need to discuss this with the site management.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm really not sure how there could have been any confusion that I owned the site considering the site name and my name...

But ok, your forum, your rules...
                No hard feelings...
                Have a great day

Comment

THE GOOD FREE OPTION

LINK REMOVED BY MOD
                  Last edited by danielp; 3rd February 2007, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by zerox666 View Post
                    THE GOOD FREE OPTION

LINK REMOVED BY MOD
                    Reported to admins
                    Last edited by danielp; 3rd February 2007, 08:56.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X