No announcement yet.

corrupt laptop, can't get to my old files

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corrupt laptop, can't get to my old files

Hi, I am new here to this forum. It looks like a great resource! Thanks in advance!

My WinXP Home Toshiba laptop went crazy last night after I installed a Sony DVD-RW external drive and installed the "Nero" software with it. When I rebooted after the installation, it would not let me log in to XP, it kept saying to try Safe mode or Last Known Configuration... unfortunately none of them worked.

I have now done the following:

1) purchased a new hard drive for the laptop.
    2) imaged the new HDD via Toshiba Restore DVD
    3) and put the old HDD in a shell with USB attachment
    4) tried to view and access my old files

My problem is that now I can access all the user accounts, except for my account...because I had the Administrator account... and I keep getting the error message, "not accessible, access is denied".

Any good method for getting around this so I can retrieve my data from the last 2 years that is stored in that Admin account?

I will sincerely appreciate your assistance.
    Dan (xpmakesmecrazy)

Re: corrupt laptop, can't get to my old files

Try this.

Big Gills (xpmakesmehappy)
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Originally posted by biggles77
      Unfortunately I did try that before my original post and it won't work for me.
      I keep getting the same "Unable to connect" message each time. However, when I try to open the folders of other users (who were not Administrators) I can easily view all the folders...

I am hoping to somehow repair the XP installation on that machine, but I can't get it to boot yet. I will try to get a Bootable XP cd from a friend and then perhaps I can restore the machine to a prior save point?

Anxious for something that works...

Try to search password recovery tools on google. I have downloaded a free software that can reset administrator password. The software will create a cd that you can boot on. I can't find the link on my bookmarks. I will post on this message as soon as I find it.