Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 Pro - Admin Password Lost - Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Pro - Admin Password Lost - Help!

OK, so I did a dumb thing. I've got a Thinkpad running W2K Pro and I bought it from a previous employer. Worked great for 3 years, and I got a new one and wanted to xfer the data to the new one and was told that if I configure it for a home network it would be easy.

Went into the Network Identification screen and changed it from a "Business Network" to a "Home Network" and then it forced a reboot.

After the reboot it will not recognize my user name/password .... nada.

So ... called IBM & Microsoft and they said to log on as the Admin and reset the password for my account. Sounded simple but ...

I DON"T HAVE THE ADMIN password.

Is there a way to get around this or am I forced to lose the data and re-install the operating system.

Please Help and tell me there is a way????

Thanks,

C

Re: Windows 2000 Pro - Admin Password Lost - Help!

Did you try any of the following? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=2438
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I did and of course as luck would have it, my CD/DVD drive doesn't work and I don't have a floppy on the laptop.

: (

Thanks for trying ...

c

Comment

Can you set the laptop to boot from a USB drive (USB stick/pen drive)?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

Thanks, you solved it for me. I used a USB drive to run as the administrator and then found this great program called "SamInside" to get the Admin passoword and then got access to the drive.

What I'm trying todo now is figure out how to get it to log on as my original ID. I see it in the Documents & Settings section but can't seem to be able to get to the file that the password is in to reset it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again, if nothing else, I didn't lose my all my data!

C

Comment

You might need to give the new account NTFS permissions on the old user's folders.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hello,

To reset lost windows password small NAME REMOVED BY MOD Changer utility can be used to quickly perform the operation URL REMOVED BY MOD
              Last edited by danielp; 19th December 2006, 09:16.

Comment

Hollow, We don't know you here yet, so posting your first message with a link to an external site that sells stuff is almost spam-like. I will let you keep the post, but if you do this in the future I will nuke you.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X