Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer dead locked user file need help

Hi
    My dell laptop died on me, dell says the motherboard is kaput, which made me take out the harddisk and make it an external harddisk. Only problem now, I can't get into my folder under documents and settings because I used to use a password for my account on my computer. My new laptop is using xp pro, my old one was using xp home. Is there any way to get into my folder and copy my lost files? I have tried booting from my external harddrive but my new computer will not accept that.

please if anyone has a suggestion and time to spare to post it I will be very greatful.

nb. I have the password but nowhere to use it.

Re: computer dead locked user file need help

You're booting into a DIFFERENT OS and using the old HD as a slave? Then that's not a "forgot password" issue, it's simply a file permissions problem.

Try to grant the user that you're using on the new OS the Full Controll NTFS permission on ALL the old HD, including subfolders and files, and make it propagate down.

If that doesn't help you'll need to take ownership of the folders and files and propagate down, then give permissions.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Danielp

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have tried doing what you said but can't find anywhere to do it, rightclicking looking for security does not get me anywhere. I am not a computer viz so maybe I am missing something. Both HD are NTFS, so the problem is not there (a friend of mine meant that was the problem).

If there is a file permission forum I'll try looking in there as well.

/sputnik

Comment

Try to disable "Use Simple File Sharing" option in My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Danielp

You are a sweetheart, not that what you suggested solved the problem but it was the right place to be. I started playing around with hide protected operational system files and that did the trick as soon as I added not the administrator but my own user file.

So thank you so much for taking the time and effort, it is really appriciated.

Comment

Working...
          X