No announcement yet.

XP Home *not Administrator* account & WPA

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home *not Administrator* account & WPA

Long story short..

Was having issues with an HP laptop that came preinstalled with WXP Home Edition, finally decided to just boot to the CD and do a repair. Well, that went fine, but when that completed it wanted to go through the product activation process again. For some reason the network card wasn't picking up an address (maybe driver didn't get installed - I don't know, I couldn't log in to troubleshoot!!). So I wasn't able to activate over the Internet. So it shoots me to the login screen, the new XP style login screen where you have the pretty little icon next to the user's name and Administrator is not listed as an option. I always logged in as administrator before. I forgot the password to the other user account. So I tried to log in under Safe Mode as Administrator, and it rejected me saying I had 0 days left to activate the product, it had to be activated before I could log in, and that the Activation Wizard would not run under safe mode.

I tried to use the Offline Windows Password and Registry Editor tool to change the password on the other user account but it didn't change anything. So I either need to find a way to make the logon screen the classic dialog box with username and password, or change that other user account's password so I cal log in using the XP login interface. I can't log in to make these changes because it's requiring activation before I can run any Windows apps.

Am I missing something here? Any suggestions?

Re: XP Home *not Administrator* account & WPA

At the windows usual logon screen press ctrl alt del twice in quick succession and you will be able to get the classic logon and put in the administrator username. Hopefully the default password might be blank, hope things helps.

That doesn't work because of the way the Administrator account works in Win XP. I read a little bit more about it earlier after I got this error message doing what you suggested

"unable to log you on because of an account restriction"

Apparently, you can't log in as Administrator in XP Home unless you are in safe mode. So now I guess I have to find a way to reset the password of the other user account, so I can get to the activation wizard.

try booting into Safe Mode with command prompt and then login as Administrator. You should be able to what you need to do (create a new user - using the net user command) from the command prompt without worrying about the activation.

I take it you didn't follow something like this:

The important take-away here was to back up c:\windows\system32\WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK

If you have a backup of your system, I'd hunt those down.

Here's a nice article on activation and those files (see HINT No. 3 -- should work for a "repair"):

And from Petri:

If you don't have backups and you can't get anything else to work, you may need to re-repair (or ??? to get an activation dialog) and at the activation "moment", call Microsoft for a phone-based activation.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.