No announcement yet.

Need help with Admin password

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Admin password

Hi I got a laptop which is running XP Pro from a friend who didnt have xp discs, now the problem is i cannot access anything like network connections or anything like that because access is denied.
    When i turn the laptop on it takes me to logon windows, with Username "amir" and no password, all I do is press enter and I am in but all I can do is use the basics,
    I tried Start/Run/Regedit, and then locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon

Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry,

type your user name, and then click OK.Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password, and then click OK

The DefaultPassword value may not exist. If it does not:
    a. Click Add Value on the Edit menu but i couldnt add nothing so i tried

Boot up with DOS and delete the sam.exe and sam.log files from Winnt\system32\config in your hard drive. Now when you boot up in NT the password on your built-in administrator account will be blank (No password)
    but that didnt work either.

So I am buggered and dont know what to do is there anything else i can do without having to buy new software?????

consider trying anything
    Last edited by maorigirl; 26th January 2006, 13:36.

Re: Need help with Admin password

Did you try using the tips described in the welcome notes of this forum? They usually help.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services