Windows 7 Password now needed following Windows update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Password now needed following Windows update

Hi, Iím new to the forum and have a question which is probably very easy for most of you guys to answer and please forgive me if an answer is already posted within the forums which I have searched.
    I have a four week old PC running Windows 7, mainly used by my kids. I installed a free 4 week trial of AVG Internet Security, at expiry I un-installed it and decided to rely on Microsoft Security Essentials which I downloaded
    It ran it a system check and the scan which was fine. I noticed there was a service pack update which I updated and my PC then automatically restarted.
    Then the problem. Windows now needs a password but Iíve never set a password!!
    Having tried F8 on start up and looked and restarted with different options within the menu, I get nowhere. I do not have a system restore point
    Do I have to reload Windows 7 from the DVD the retailer gave me or is there another solution?
    Any help would be appreciated

Re: Windows 7 Password now needed following Windows update

take a look at Peter Nordahl's Password reset disk - I've found it pretty mjuch always to be completely reliable.

The other thing is - have you tried clicking on the relevant user account, and just hitting enter for the password, rather than entering one ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks. Have tried just hitting the return button but no use. Even spoken to the retailer who sold me the PC. He's flumaxed as well but he does have a disk so all will be sorted by the weekend.
      But the question still remains, why did it happen in the first place

Comment

Probably you or your vendor have set the password with auto login on boot..

Second option could be just before you install the SP1 your kids probably set the password and forget to tell you

Comment

Working...
        X