Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

I've forgotten my password for a critical (to me) Excel file. I see that Petri has/had a software that could help, Excel Password Recovery, but I don't see that it will work for Windows 7 and MS Office2010. Anyone know if I can use that software to successfully get into my file? I'm using a PC. Thanks for any help/advice!

Re: Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

If the software you're referring to is for forgotten passwords for OFfice, the software should work pretty much the same, regardless of version (although there were some major changes in the document formats between O2003 and O2007.)

Best bet it to just try it.

considering whether this belongs in the forgotten pwd forum or not..

sigpic

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Comment

Thanks for your reply/advice. I bought and installed the software, then attempted to open a password-protected MS Excel 2010 file. No luck.

This was my approach (maybe that's the problem!):
      1. I started the password recovery software.
      2. I started MS Excel 2010.
      3. I attempted to open the password-protected Excel file.
      4. I got the message box telling me to type in the file password.
      5. I hovered my cursor over the area that I would have typed my password into.
      Nothing happened.

Any advice?

Comment

i don't know how to use the application unfortunately.. the ones I've used before normally load the file in question then use bruteforce..

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Tehcamel. I appreciate your follow-through.

Anyone else have ideas for me? Please refer to my posts dated Nov 26 and Nov 27.

Comment

There are lots of pieces of software available to do this. I've not had to use any, but Googling "recover excel 2010 file password" will give you some suggestions.

One question though - have you forgotten the password, or has it been changed? If the latter, restore a prior version of the file from your backups (you say it's a critical file, so it'll be backed up, right?). If you've forgotten the password, then I would suggest now would be the time to start documenting such information.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              There are lots of pieces of software available to do this. I've not had to use any, but Googling "recover excel 2010 file password" will give you some suggestions.

One question though - have you forgotten the password, or has it been changed? If the latter, restore a prior version of the file from your backups (you say it's a critical file, so it'll be backed up, right?). If you've forgotten the password, then I would suggest now would be the time to start documenting such information.
              Thank you Garret for you ideas. I've forgotten the password and yes, the file is important. I do keep a secure file of such information. Unfortunately, and for some other unknown reason, my automatic backup didn't autormatically backup for several days. The file was created during the period that I had no backups. Geez, when it rains it pours, eh!?

Comment

No problem, although I'm not sure where you got "Garret" from
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

i think it's a typo of Gareth

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    No problem, although I'm not sure where you got "Garret" from
                    My apologies, Gareth. I read "Gareth" and typed "Garret" by mistake. Have a great day!

Comment

I did! I created an overly-bastardised IVR system... 14 levels deep, with random recursion. If you stay on the line long enough you'll probably find Amelia Earhart in there.

Sadly it was only in the classroom and not on the production server
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Meanwhile on Planet Earth?
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think he was saying he did have a good day... because he made that IVR :P

anyway.. back OT boys

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                            I think he was saying he did have a good day... because he made that IVR :P

anyway.. back OT boys
                            Actually, by following the postings time line, one can see that my 12/11 18:57 comment started this part of the conversation when I apolgized for a typo, closing my reply with "Have a great day." Gareth replied about a half hour later, at 13:03, when he announced his event---making it a great day for him.

This is way, way too picky to even give it attention. We should be helping each other solve issues rather than worrying about tiny and inconsequential tits and jottles. In my humble opinion.

Comment

While not an Admin Password issue, Andy makes a good point (#2) and so I have moved it from the Windows 7 Forum. BLTN

Was this the software that you purchased to try and retrieve your Excel password? http://www.elcomsoft.com/aopr.html?r1=tucows

When trying to get your password back you have a couple of advantages. While you don't remember the password, you should have an idea or 2 of the password construction and so can configure the Recovery program accordingly otherwise it will be trying every combination available. For example; did you include any ASCII charactors? If not then these can be eliminated from the search. This will reduce the recovery time by a wee bit. Anything else you can add to the recovery configuration will obviously reduce the time taken.
                              Last edited by biggles77; 13th December 2011, 16:34. Reason: Remove incorrect info
                              11 was a racehorse.
                              22 was 12
                              1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
                              ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Working...
                              X