forgot xp pro admin password - boot from cd disabled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forgot xp pro admin password - boot from cd disabled

Hello - I have forgotten the admin password for my xp pro laptop and have tried to use several password reset and xp boot cd's to access the pc. unfortunately, it appears that the setup select boot device feature has been disabled.

I assume that since this was formally a business maintained pc that the boot.ini file has been modified but I don't know.

Does anyone know of a way to reinstate the boot sequence or of a way to get a command prompt?

Thanks.

Re: forgot xp pro admin password - boot from cd disabled

boot.ini has nothing to do with the BIOS and manually selecting a boot device. Have you gone into the BIOS and checked it out?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have gone into the setup config but there are limited options regarding boot sequence. i can change the sequence but can't disable any. i have made the cd the 1st device in the boot sequence and had various boot cd's in the drive.

the system seems to think about it for a few minutes with the drive access light flashing, then it proceeds to the harddrive boot sequence.

Comment

You normally need to press a key while it is thinking, then it will boot into the CD

This is to deal with people leaving a CD in and rebooting
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

tried that too. both after i set the bios to boot from cd 1st and responding to the same message after pressing F10 boot sequence key. no dice.....

Comment

If you would care to tell us the make and model of the laptop, perhaps someone will be able to give some more focussed help
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

and if you're still having trouble, talk to the whoever you got the laptop from.
              I'd say reinstall, but since you're having difficulty booting from te cd..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

sorry for the delay in response. after looking at responses here, i began to suspect the laptop might have a firmware / hardware issue so i took the laptop back to the lab and got another one from the same donated group. the problem laptop was a hp/compaq model similar to the one i just picked up (compaq nc8000, hp logo on the outside). both have the same admin config, however the bios setup for this one has more options and the boot sequence selection performs as expected.

i would have done a reinstall on the problem machine if i could have gotten it to boot from cd or been able to log in.

has anyone heard of a way to block a boot from cd as i have described?

thanks for your help.

Comment

Some BIOSes are locked more than others, and for some a BIOS password may be needed to select boot options

Normally HP/Compaq have "press F12* for boot options" somewhere during the boot phase

*F12 is indicative, subsitute another function key if required
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Of course the CD/DVD ROM Drive may just not be working. Can you insert a disk once it has booted and see if you can access it. Even better, insert one that has an autorun file and see if it fires up on that.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X