• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 R2 Administrator Password

Hi all.

Situation:

I'm in my last year of ict.
    28th of March I've got Windows 2003/2008 Server Exam.

For that exam I need a working 2003 server with exchange.
    (full on vmware)
    We have to use the vm that we've created in the class.

But now i've somehow managed to make a typo when changing my password, although i always ONLY use [email protected] or Admin123.

I guess i most have mistyped it 2 times by changing the password.
    (there is no problem concerning azerty or qwerty..)

Anyway, this is not a LIVE server, everything is .local and for studying purpose.
    But i can't risk to just create a new one and hope it will work with exchange etc...

I do have a snapshot, but it's without the complete exchange installation.

I did try this one:

reset domain admin password in windows server 2003 ad
    (i cant post links under 5 posts..)

everything goes well untill its says:

"Restart Windows normally, SRVANY will run the NET USER command and reset the domain admin password."

just before step 3.

SO when i finish adding the key in regedit, i just restart the server normally like the manual says.

I dont think SRVANY can run the net user command because when the server has rebooted it asks for a login..

Or does the net user command run without being logged in?

So, even if the net user command did run without loggin in, i still can't log in with the new set password which i set in the regedit key.. (which is [email protected])

Also, when i reboot then, i cant get into the F8 menu (choose boot option), i have to revert to my latest snapshot in order to get the F8 function during the boot proces to work again..

If u want i can post screenshots from my register changes, but i think its correct..

So i'm kinda stuck here :s
    I really need that virtual machine for my exam..

I hope you can understand my problem, sorry for my bad english!

Re: Windows 2003 R2 Administrator Password

If you're not able to find a way to reset the password, then your options are to continue on from where the snapshot leaves off (why can't you just install Exchange on that as you did in class?) or to start from scratch (why can't you do that, as you did in class?).

Part of having a good working knowledge of these products is knowing how to install and configure them.

I would suggest that asking your instructor for help would be the way to go.

Originally posted by Frankvanherck View Post
    But now i've somehow managed to make a typo when changing my password, although i always ONLY use [email protected] or Admin123.
    I hope that doesn't include forum accounts
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      If you're not able to find a way to reset the password, then your options are to continue on from where the snapshot leaves off (why can't you just install Exchange on that as you did in class?) or to start from scratch (why can't you do that, as you did in class?).

Part of having a good working knowledge of these products is knowing how to install and configure them.

I would suggest that asking your instructor for help would be the way to go.

I hope that doesn't include forum accounts

Offcourse i only use those passwords for testing areas lol

Well, the problem is i have to configure the AD & exchange on other subnets and ip ranges at school and here at home.
      And changing ip's etc after installing AD etc isn't gonna work properly..

So if i want to be sure that everything works, i should reinstall everything in school, and have some other people with physical other laptops and vm machines to test if exchange really works.

since its evening class and not regular day school, the next day we can go is 28 th of march..

I've emailed our teacher about this, his first anwer was to wait for 60 minutes, the admin password could be blocked and at default this is 60mins..

Comment

Well, the problem is i have to configure the AD & exchange on other subnets and ip ranges at school and here at home.
        And changing ip's etc after installing AD etc isn't gonna work properly..
        You can change the IP of a DC following appropriate instructions, but why would you not assign the server a static address in the appropriate subnet before running dcpromo? It's really not recommended to use DHCP to assign addresses to your servers.

So if i want to be sure that everything works, i should reinstall everything in school, and have some other people with physical other laptops and vm machines to test if exchange really works.
        You can test it yourself using physical computers or VMs, without being at school.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          You can change the IP of a DC following appropriate instructions, but why would you not assign the server a static address in the appropriate subnet before running dcpromo? It's really not recommended to use DHCP to assign addresses to your servers.

You can test it yourself using physical computers or VMs, without being at school.
          Hmm I didn't know that. I'll look it up

The server has a static ip address, for example 172.16.99.100
          but my homenetwork is 192.168.0.0

Well, i guess i can reinstall everything, test it thru vm..
          But it's a lot of work

It would be nice if i could fix my passw..

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies

grtz

Comment

Assign static addresses to whatever machines / VMs you test with in the appropriate range.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Have you tried the options suggested here? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=2438

Make a bootable ISO with Peter Nordahl app and set the VM to boot off the ISO.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i did, and i also tried the iso, it's a nice tool, but didnt work.
                but im gonna keep that tool, mite come in handy one day

anyway, i started from scratch and everything is working fine

took me a while to reinstall everything but it works like a charm

thx for the help!

Comment

Peter Nordahl DIDN'T work? I have used it on Server 2008 but now can't remember if it was a DC. Will try this myself on 2008R2 DC on a VM and see what happens. I HAVE used it on a 2003 DC and had to run it a couple of times to make the change stick.

Anyway, glad you got your reinstall all done and working correctly. It may have been a pain but it is all good experience.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No it didn't work.
                    I think i did it correctly tho..

But like u say, i did everything over again, i almost know every step by heart

But nevertheless, i'm keeping that peter tool!

Comment

Working...
                    X