Can't delete password with Linux disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't delete password with Linux disk

I can't reset a user's passwords with the latest version of any of the Linux-based boot disks. I tried "blanking" the User's password. The Admin account is shown as having a blank password, but I can't log on with it regardless, as the account is indicated as restricted when I try at the Windows logon screen. The user's account is shown as "disabled or locked" during the password changing process, so I chose to reset and unlock the account, and the resulting message stated that the account was unlocked. I then "blank" (*) the password, select "Y", and the result is "Changed!" Still can't log on to the system. I had also disabled Syskey with the boot disk before changing the passwords. The OS is XP Home, SP-2, NTFS. Thanks!
    JimmyW

Re: Can't delete password with Linux disk

Doesn't anyone have an answer to my question? Daniel?
    JimmyW

Comment

Mmmm no, sorry. What boot disk method did you try?
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi,

have you tried with EBCD ?! it works i do it several times and get succeed..

Comment

Thanks for the help. I had tried the latest verision of Nordahl's boot disk, and I also tried EBCD. I did finally overcome the problem. I found that, in Safe Mode, I could log on as Admin, whose password was stripped. From that point, I could delete the user's password. I just don't understand why those boot disks didn't work.
          JimmyW

Comment

Hi,

As i said i use EBCD several time and success ratio is 100% for me , is it throw some error message their ? is it that Your Administrator account name is changed ?! if so then you have to use UID / SID instead.

Regard

Comment

Thanks. There were no error messages. The Admin acount name was not changed, but apparently locked out or disabled, although I could unlock it with the boot disk and EBCD. I wanted to clear the other user's password, and although the boot disk/EBCD seemed to do so, I was unable to logon in XP without the original password. As I mentioned, I got in as Admin in safe mode and then removed the user's password.
              JimmyW

Comment

Oh, I have been searching EVERYWHERE for help and hope that I may have found it here. It is nearly 1:00 a.m. and I have been struggling with trying to recover my Windows account access on my laptop PC for about 8 hours.

I started out, near the end of the day, working on the task of resetting all my passwords (company policy makes me do it every 40 days) and wanted to get my windows and Netware passwords changed first ... had not logged into Netware yet, so just changed my windows password, then closed all apps and logged off. Then, tried to log back in ... Netware password is different than windows, now, remember ... and Wham! my windows account is locked. This is not totally surprising, though, as I had incorrectly typed my windows password more than once earlier today, and did not think I was on the last chance. But I was. This has been a VERY hard lesson!

Anyway, my company's IT gurus have a "trick" for resetting a Windows account password. I've seen it work well a number of times for other people. I tried it for myself (logging into Windows only with a non-priviliged account and running a little program that uses my intranet account/password to authenticate and manage the reset) and could not authenticate. Still able to successfully browse the internet/intranet with authentication there, but just not through the smart little password unlocker/resetter program. OK - next option ... use a password crack tool.

I got the "http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/" tool and tried running it first from CD. The Linux disk seemed to behave correctly and I actually found that it did unlock my account, but I (probably) made the mistake of resetting the password, too. Now, I cannot log in with any of my passwords for that account. I tried a floppy disk version of the Linux disk and it behaved well, but I still didn't have a password to use. My account and one other are the only administrator accounts on the PC and I can access neither, having touched both with the Linux fixes.

The LOGON.SCR to CMD.EXE trick won't work for me because the non-admin account that I can use is SEVERELY limited, by design. Dell doesn't provide XP installation disks, but only the "Reinstallation" disk, so trying to use that little hole during a Installation/Repair by pressing SHIFT-F10 at just the right time is of no use, either.

I have file backups, but the time I've put into setting up and customizing my work environment to create efficiency is significant ... much more than the 8 hours I've spent trying to recover tonight. I can't stand the thought of starting over.

All my other Google searches have produced no new ideas, but I am tired, so maybe I have missed something good.

Any ideas?

I discovered this info from another discussion board:
                "Problem: You reset the admin password on WinXP but when you try to use the new pw it fails.
                Cause: If the WinXP is an OEM pre-install the pw is stored differently than in the standard installation.
                Fix: You have to use a patch from the oem.microsoft.com site and the Recovery Console to be able to use the 'fixed' admin pw."

and it could well be my problem. Anyone know what the patch might be?

What problems would I have if I deleted the SAM file? I am the only user, but I do have Visual Studio and SQL Server 2000 installed on this machine (XP Pro) so there are special accounts for those apps.

Any help would be very much appreciated ... and I will try to get and post the link for that "Shift - F10" method, in case it is useful to other folks.

I'm whipped for tonight ... will go at it again in a few hours.

Thanks.
                Last edited by uptoolate; 4th November 2005, 07:47.

Comment

I sometimes had problems with EBCD as well, easy way arround it is by deleting C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM which will blank all system passwords.

Comment

Working...
                  X