Serv 08 r2 admin account...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serv 08 r2 admin account...

I find myself with a new client who no longer has an IT staff nor does she have documentation. (She explained the elaborate situation to me.) So there are 2 servers in a domain. Box1 was a cake walk, reset local admin, reset domain admin, taada. Box1 is just an app server, nothing else, so I assume box2 to be the DC.

Box2, reset local admin, login, look around, it's running Hyper-V but no DC. Maybe the DC is inside of a Hyper-V? I haven't really hands-on'd hyper-v before.

Ok, so I go to reset the domain admin and I messed up big time. Following the 'SRVANY and INSTSRV' method (Which I know also works on 08r2 and worked for Box1) I forgot to go F8, Directory Restore Service Mode. Yup, I fail big time. I managed to execute all tasks. I rebooted the machine. I start typing administrator into the login box while it says the correct domain below, when I hit the final letter, it changes the domain to the local machine. Yikes. So I tried DOMAIN\administrator + reset password. It goes 'welcome' and then I get error box 'the username and password are in correct'. Later I login to local admin to find 'a message in another program is trying to be displayed, click here to display the message' it's the PassRecovery cmd box and it's1355 - Error Message: The Specified Domain Either Does Not Exist or Could Not Be Contacted. System could not find message text for 0x8 in the system. (I donno what that means or if it's helpful.)

I know there is a domain admin account named: administrator, because I cracked it on the other machine. I haven't networked the 2 machines, fearing the DC would push the other password back. Is it possible to somehow send the Domain admin PW upstream, to some how affect the DC? I have NO documentation to know about any other accounts to try or anything. Where to now?

Re: Serv 08 r2 admin account...

If you reset the DA account, it should apply to all machines
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I reset the DA account while the machine was no connected to the network, using that service hack, not a normal reset...?

Comment

And if you reconnect it to the network, will it update the other DC?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well, I suppose I've unearthed a new problem. The genius who set this up made the DC inside of a hyper-v... AWESOME! I can't seam to restart the hyper-v.

Comment

2 servers, probably limited clients? Any chance of doing a new domain?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by intellilogic View Post
              Well, I suppose I've unearthed a new problem. The genius who set this up made the DC inside of a hyper-v... AWESOME! I can't seam to restart the hyper-v.
              Have you tried mounting the DC VHD on a different R2 machine?
              http://www.petri.com/move-virtual-ma...er-v-hosts.htm
              http://www.petri.com/migrate-vm-manu...er-v-hosts.htm

I hope I have understood your problem correctly.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X