Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Home premium, administrator password recovery/reset

system: Windows Vista Home Premium
    problem: Forgot administrator password, but still have access to a standard account.

Ok, I read the previous posts and articles, but what I understand of them is that they are either not for Vista or the links were removed by the mods. Can anyone please give me a hand, I have to admit that I am a total idiot. The reason I am in this predicament is that I read somewhere that you should have at least two users. One on an administrator, which you don't use, and one on a standard account which you use normally.

Well I had only one account, so I went and made another, then forgot the about all of this for a week, and in that week forgot the new account's password. However I still went and transferred the administrator privileges to the new account. Thus making myself locked out of all administrator actions. A classic example of real stupidity.

So I tried to restore the system to a point before the change, but that requires administrator approval. Also my PC didn't have an install CD included when I bought it.

I am trying to work this, but if anyone can spend a little time to point me in the right direction, I really appreciate it.

Also I picked my screenname cause I wanted to express how I am not trying to hack into someone's comp, just regain access to my own.

Re: Vista Home premium, administrator password recovery/reset

So I tried to download [MOD EDIT] a password recovery utility [/MOD EDIT] but for it to install on the computer requires an administrator password. I guess to pursue any reset program you have to have access to another computer to put the utility on a CD?
    Last edited by Ossian; 7th November 2010, 08:44.

Comment

Most of the free tools run from a bootable CD -- will your standard account let you burn an ISO?

Note I have edited the name of the utility you mentioned above to avoid any allegations of advertising!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I recently tried using Peter Nordahl's Offline NT Registry Editor (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/) on a Vista machine, and it couldn't find the registry.

I've had great success with this program before on Windows XP and 2000 machines, but haven't tried it on Vista yet.

You could give it a try - i did later find there are physical disk problems, so that could be why.

(mods note - this is a free utility!)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I can still burn an ISO, but the programs I found require you to install first. Seems silly to me. I'm gonna try finding a neighbor who can let me use their PC to put the program on a CD.

Comment

the one I linked does not require an installation.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Wow, I tried to use the program I first downloaded, found out I had to buy it before it would work, and tried tehcamel's suggestion.

It worked perfectly! No problems, the program had a walkthrough with each step while it was running. It only cost me the price of a CD to burn it to, but that is negligible, and now I won't have this problem again. Thank you greatly!

Comment

no probs buddy, glad I could help

Comment

Well done -- and the lesson is, do not try "commercial" recovery programs
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X