No announcement yet.

Forgot Admin Password

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot Admin Password

I received this computer about two years ago and at first used it a few times and then stopped, and now I don't remember the admin password. And the thing is that anything I want to do, like update an app, etc, the pop up appears for me to put in the password. I have tried to download several apps that state they can help with the retrieving of the password, but after downloading, I get the same pop up wanting the password. I do not have flash player and it will not let me install it. What can I do. I am so frustrated.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional N
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name STUDENT-PC
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 786G1 v01.16, 3/5/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name Student-PC\Internet
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB
    Total Physical Memory 1.45 GB
    Available Physical Memory 470 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.89 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.57 GB
    Page File Space 1.45 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Boot into Safe Modde (press F8 when starting the computer)
    Log on as Administrator with no password
    If you get in, reset the account password ad reboot

If that doesn't work, get the Peter Nordahl CD (lots of info on that in this section of the forum)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Log on as Administrator with no password
      I've tried that with Windows 7 and it still asks for a password HOWEVER, it is still worth trying before Peter Nordahl.

If Ossian's suggestion doesn't work then try this one.

Also noticed your machine is getting a tad long in the tooth. If you want to bring it up to a bit more modern then might I suggest you put an SSD into it. I have a 7 year old Acer that boots just as fast as a current machine that has a mechanical HDD. Applications also open faster as well. I'm not saying do it but just saying it is an option and is a lot cheaper than buying a new computer.