Lost user password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost user password

A friend of mine set a new user password on her Sony Vaio laptop with Vista and she doesn't remember it because the keyboard has 1 key broken.
    I already tried one utility at her home but it failed also I didn't have all necessary tools nor my computer.
    I can't bring her computer at my home where I could spend time and try all steps necessary because she is worried that she got non secured sensitive data stored on it.
    But I told her that if she goes to a shop they will see her data anyways, got no suitable answer
    So my question is there an utility which will reset the user password, I mean 100% functioning, I go there with the CD and USB and I'll reset the password?
    I read the article on Petri Knowledge regarding the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, I haven't tried yet also links seem not working.
    However I found the utility somewhere else so does this will work?
    I excluded the reset option with the Windows installation disc because the laptop doesn't have it.
    Petri's top tools to recover or reset Windows Login and Windows Administrator Password. Did you forget your password? We'll show you how to get back on your PC.

The main one used to be Peter Nordahls tool - I think that is the one mentioned a few times in the password reset forum

Note I am moving this thread to the password forum for a better response as few people look at Vista these days
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Peter Nordahl's brilliant tool. - Extract the ISO on the zip file. Now go grab a copy of Rufus. Use Rufus to transfer the ISO to a USB stick which then becomes bootable. Read the How to use it link if you have any issues. Come on back if you have any problems.
      How to use it.

Forgot to mention to make sure you right click on Rufus and Run as administrator.
      Last edited by JJKing; 26th July 2016, 12:59. Reason: Added info

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        I am moving this thread to the password forum for a better response as few people look at Vista these days
        Thanks for help, I posted straight into Vista forums although I guess Peter Nordahl's brilliant tool would also work with more recent versions of Windows.

PS: strange thing I don't receive Petri forums' alerts in my mail box and all settings are ok.

Comment

Originally posted by JJKing View Post
          Peter Nordahl's brilliant tool
          Thanks JJKing, I did some research an got the exact tool but I preferred to wait for the confirmation and support from Petri forums.

Comment

I tested Peter Nordahl's tool on my Windows 7 laptop and could see and select the users but always got the message that they were not password protected.
            Also I tried Ophcrack live cd on my laptop and got a message telling a txt file was saved in a temp folder but it didn't show nor reset any password, the file also was not present on the system.

Anyway, I decided to go to the other place to fix the Sony Vaio with Vista even so I knew that I had little time and not sure about the tools.
            I loaded Ophcrack live cd and after 30 minutes it seemed that nothing was proceeding, many texts on the screen and nothing happened. Maybe the program was trying to crack the password but I felt like it wasn't working to I stopped it.

Then I tried Peter Nordahl's tool, unfortunately the bloody Sony Vaio didn't work with the usb key (I could select it at the boot but instead the system always loaded Windows) so I created a live cd which didn't work the same way it did on my Windows 7 system, it stuck somewhere and nothing happened so I stopped it and said bye bye.

I'm pretty sure that if I had the laptop at my home, I could work on it and find the solution but when you have little time and not your working place, then things go wrong.
            Thanks to everyone for helping, unfortunately my mission was a total failure.
            The problem was my friend for not allowing me to take the laptop so I could work on it.

Comment

Peter Nordahl's brilliant tool. - Extract the ISO on the zip file. Now go grab a copy of Rufus. Use Rufus to transfer the ISO to a USB stick which then becomes bootable. Read the How to use it link if you have any issues. Come on back if you have any problems. How to reset sony vaio laptop password

Forgot to mention to make sure you right click on Rufus and Run as administrator.
              I followed the steps in the tutorial but it can't reset the admin password on Windows 10.
              Last edited by Kunkzi; 12th September 2016, 10:16.

Comment

Does this machine have a UEFI BIOS? If it does then you need to disable the boot protection feature. If the user account doesn't have a password then Peter's program will not find a password to blank.

Kunkzi, post back if you still have issues once the UEFI boot protection has been disabled. Don't forget to enable it again once the password problem has been fixed. Also make sure you are selecting the correct Partition that contains the Windows\system

Could a Moderator split this thread as Kunkzi has done, in all likelihood, an inadvertent hijack. Would help to keep them separate to avoid confusion when posting. Thanks.

Comment

You mean that you want to recover the lost password for laptop ?as a lenovo user , although I should not propose my own plan , but as i know , this tool has the ability to support other versions of the notebook , you can break Windows login password on your laptop ,
                  Last edited by Makkerk; 5th September 2017, 04:54.

Comment

Working...
                  X