Help me recover administrator account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me recover administrator account

Hello! I have windows XP that had 2 user accounts, both as administrators. Jeff was the original administrator. I was added later. My account was password protected and kept requiring a password change. I would go to user accounts through either my account or Jeff's and change my account to eliminate the need for a password. Everything would be fine for a few weeks, then I would be prompted to change the password again, even though I had thought it was no longer password protected. I deleted Jeff's account (BIG mistake). Now when I try to access XP, my account says I need to change the password. When I try to change it (not being sure I have the correct password), I get a message saying I am not authorized to change it. Apparently Jeff was the only one who could do so. Jeff says he never even set me up w/ a password! I am totally locked out, now and would appreciate advice on how to reinstate Jeff's account even though I can't get into the computer at all. I don't have the a setup disc or anything for XP - I think Jeff may have downloaded everything into it. He's in sunny Florida - retired, while I'm working without our company computer!

Re: Help me recover administrator account

What version of XP???

Also i think this will ultimately end up in the Administrator password forum.

Comment

Agreed -- and moved
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't know what version. Startup screen only says WindowsXP, not professional - I can't get in any further. Sorry.

Comment

Read the sticky in this forum and download a free password recovery tool, burn to CD and see what you can find
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X