Accessing crashed slave drive, have password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing crashed slave drive, have password

Sorry if my title is lame. Sorry if this is a wee bit off the usual topic for this section, but it appears to be the best place. (A mod or admin can chew me out for being a dumb newbie if needed. ??
    I am using a stand alone home pc with Win XP serv. pack 2
    I am the admin.
    I have the owner/admin access passworded and I know the password.
    The only back-ups I have are in the partitioned section of the drive that XP automatically makes.
    I have operating floppy, cd & dvd drive options.
    My problem is that the drive crashed with no warning (system files not found).
    I have a installed a new drive & left the crashed drive configured as a slave. I have been able to transfer many files, but I cannot access the ones under "documents and settings\owner".
    I want to recover my "Word for Windows" documents & my e-mail account, including bookmarks, address book & e-mails.. I'm using Netscape 7.2
    The message I get when attempting to access them is "Not accessible, access denied. I'm thinking it's because the owner was passworded & now I can't access it to unlock it.
    I am unable to restore to a previous state, because it wont stay up long enough.
    I discovered a new software installation had caused the missing or corrupted system files & removed that application. I now am able to start the pc from the bad drive, but as soon as the desktop shows, I get "missing" or "corrupt file" names. I have transferred all that are named, form the new drive to the bad one. Now I get NO error messages, but as soon as the desktop shows, it tries to reboot (continuos circle).
    I have looked at the method of partitioning a section & installing a complete new system, but it doesn't appear to be a valid option for the XP O.S.
    Is there a method of eliminating the password on that drive configured as a slave drive?
    "Tool #1" in the list of 5 didn't work because it doesn't eliminate the password, only tells it & I already know it.
    "Tool #3" Openwall's John the ripper doesn't look like what I need either.
    I'm leaning towards option #4 the ECBD as something worthy of trying. I guess my first & biggest question should be, does anyone think this will work?
    Can I d/l the ECBD boot disk with the bad drive as the master & eliminate the password, then reinstall it as the slave & transfer files?
    Is there any other method of getting an operating system on it that will allow me access to the passworded "owner" files?
    I'm all for helping myself, but was hoping someone could steer me to something that will work without me having to experiment for days on end. I'm more of a jock than a geek & I seem to only know enough to be a menace to myself.
    Or.....
    Is there a method to access a password log-on with that drive configured as a "slave"?

Thank you in advance to any and all suggestions from anybody who would pity this moron.

Re: Accessing crashed slave drive, have password

Have you tried to Take Ownership of the Documents and Settings folder?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

As Biggles77 has suggested if you can see the drives contents when connected to your OS then the easiest option is to take ownership of the files on that drive.

More info here

Ownership of files

Comment

Sorry to be so late in responding. I failed to recognize that the "User CP" default didn't automatically "subscribe" me to my own thread. I fixed that. (told you I was a moron)
        Thank you for the idea of "taking ownership" of the files/folders. I read the link you provided & also the info in the article's link as a preface. I then gave it a shot. It didn't work for me as the menus & options seem to be for XP Pro & I'm limited to XP Home. In re-reading my original post, I discovered that I omitted that critical piece of info. Sorry. My bad.
        I tried the pull down tab options available to me, but found nothing similar. In the process, I discovered the theoretical ability to simply drag the folder to the "Shared Documents" folder. When attempting that, I continue to get "Access Denied" error messages of two varieties.
        I hate the feeling of helplessness, because I'm generally very independent, but have gained enough wisdom to realize I need more help. Any more ideas?
        Thank you for your present & future assistance!

Comment

not sure about xp home as i don't have it.
          can you provide a screenshot of what you see when you rightclick the folder and choose "properties"?
          also, in order to take ownership you need to be a local admin. are you?
          Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

It appears that even though I manually "subscribed" to this thread, I still didn't get notification of a new post. Thank you Chris for your assistance. To be candid, I'll admit my ignorance in the procedure for taking a screen shot. If you tell me how, I'd be happy to post it here.
            As to being the admin. Yes, as far as I know. No one else uses this pc & the only account set up is the admin. When I log on, it says "admin account". Is that different than "local" admin?

Comment

To take a screen shot (also called a screen dump), press the PRTSCN key and paste into Paint. Please save in a JPG format before posting here. If you use ALT + PRTSCN, it captures an image of the active windows and not the whole screen.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks biggles!

Incredible as it may seem, I actually can do many other things in life quite well. All I can say is God bless you space age whiz kids for your computer savvy!

I have purchased "Win XP, The Missing Manual" by David Pogue and "Win XP Hacks, 101 industrial-strength tips & tools" to assist in my education.

Here's the screen shot when I try "open" or "explore". I'll post the "properties screen shot in the next post.

I believe it's because I am unable to log onto that drive through the normal start up from a reboot or "sign on". If the "system" was operating normally, I could use the password.
                Am I better off to d/l a disk that boots me into DOS & resets or clears the password?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MisterQ; 29th September 2005, 20:21.

Comment

Here's the "properties" screen shot. Although it says that it's empty, I assure you that it's got all my e-mail & Word documents in it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

"Have a read of the article at the following link..http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech It really looks like a permission problem and once you take ownership od the folder and files you will get access to them.

Found this one as well. http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

A BIG THANKS to chris, wullieb1 & especially biggles77 for your assistance! I hope you get a warm fuzzy for being of assistance!!!

The link provided, explained how to "take ownership" with the home version of XP. It seems that you must log on in the "Safe" mode to do the work. According to Microsoft, the "file sharing" method is not an option with XP Home, only the Pro version. Anyway, it was a success.
                      Although you can't directly transfer the files, due to not being logged on as an admin in the default operating sys., I was able to create a new folder & drag the contents of my photos, my Word docs. & other very important files!
                      It would seem logical that if you undid the password log on for the Admin, on the "good" drive, a direct file transfer could be utilized.
                      While this approach was a bare minimum "fix" concerning the crashed drive, it allowed me to retrieve locked files! WHEW!!!!
                      Thank you all again so much! Job well done.

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the successful result. It is appreciated and we are pleased you have a positive solution.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nice to see your problem is solved

Comment

Working...
                          X