Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recover local administrator's password on windows 2003 file server!! I'm domain admin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover local administrator's password on windows 2003 file server!! I'm domain admin

Heeeeelp!

We're all new staff, former employees left and didn't leave any documentation related to local users/passwords, We've access to the domain administrator account but not to local administrators accounts of 2 windows 2003 servers part of the domain for file sharing purposes,..... how can I recover/reset them without affecting EFS????

any ideas ???

thanks !!!!!

Re: Recover local administrator's password on windows 2003 file server!! I'm domain a

You should (in a domain) have administrator (the domain admin) as a designated recovery agent for EFS
    IMHO use this account to decrypt files before changing any passwords
    You can then reset the local admin password in the usual way (through computer management)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Recover local administrator's password on windows 2003 file server!! I'm domain a

Thanks.... I'm on it now, although I think more issues are to come since these people left "ticking bombs" and used that account "hard coded" on some applications, do You think a Audit policiy will help me out ??...

again, thanks a bunch!

Comment

I think you had better go through things yourself, documenting properly - there are not many easier ways
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by nokita70 View Post
          Thanks.... I'm on it now, although I think more issues are to come since these people left "ticking bombs" and used that account "hard coded" on some applications, do You think a Audit policiy will help me out ??...

again, thanks a bunch!
          An audit policy is not going to tell you which user account is being used by which application. It's also not going to tell you which user account is being used by which service. You're going to have to, for the most part, go through each server and application one by one and see how each is configured.

Also. I wouldn't characterize their actions as "ticking bombs" as that implies some nefarious intent and negligentaction on their part (unless you know for a fact that it was nefarious and negligent). System administrators often use domain or local admin accounts for services and applications. The better method is to create and designate specific service and application accounts for these purposes and as much as it sounds like a cliche, now's your chance to clean things up and do it the right way.

Comment

that's what I was afraid of, going through them one by one, although we need the audit policy too (my boss is being very suspicious..), you see the previous team ended up in very bad terms with this company (don't know what happened), and right now Im following your advice...

Thanks again!!

Comment

Glad to help, good luck, and post back here with any questions, problems, or updates.

Comment

Working...
              X