locked out of Xp after use Nordahl-Hagen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locked out of Xp after use Nordahl-Hagen

Windows Xp on Dell Dim 2400. Tried to reset pasword using Nordahl-Hagen. Then loginrecovery told me, no password there. No way to get in. Tried the
    beauty of Cashmint/amset.info, but when in controlpanel > usr-accounts I change admin's pasword it refuses, and of course restarting windows I'm
    still locked out. I imagine it would be something like editing the "registry-file" from Linux (the way I did the manips for amset-method) or from Xp on another harddisk in the same PC.
    Any suggestions would be very welcome !

PS: I used Puppy-Linux in RAM booted from a CD, and having a USB-stick as
    disk to store backed up user-files in case a complete reinstall will be
    necessary

Re: locked out of Xp after use Nordahl-Hagen

When using Peter Nordahl's method, did you use the blank the password option or did you ut in a password? I have found that if you use the blank password option it always works if you logon to the local machine. Somethimes you may need to repeat the process.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you biggles77. I think I tried at least twice and once writing in another password. The Petter Nordahl always says it did it ok and the only option you then have is to shut down. There is no exit to NTFS-DOS or whatever. I wonder if that is normal ?

Comment

yes, that is normal.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you both for your answers. I discovered that when I downloaded pnordahl I missed the "walk-through" i.e. the 'how to'. With the printout of that in hand, I got the password blanked out and got into the locked-out PC. If one just follows the defaults one is likely to miss Step-4 where the changes are written to the windows-harddisk. I had an old single-floppy version of the Nordahl-Hagen from 2005. That one worked very well - once I understood how to use the tool.
          Best regards

Comment

Working...
          X