Can't Login to XP After Running Registry Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Login to XP After Running Registry Life

After running registry cleaner Registry Life in an attempt to speed up my computers, my desktop running XP Media Centre Edition was OK but my Dell D600 with Win XP Pro was locked at the log on screen for want of a PW. I had never seen this screen before on this computer. The laptop is one I bought on line second hand and don't have the OS disk. The previous owner (whom I don't know) may have had admin. and user PWs which were disabled, or there were no PWs but some how the registry requuired them.
    In order to recover or clear the PWs, I first tried 'Offine NT Password & Registry Editor' as it is supposed to clear the PWs and I didn't need to know them anyway. It seemed to work but when I tried to log on again I got the same log on screen which required a PW. I then ran 'Ophcrack' and it also worked saying that the PW locations for admin. and user were 'empty' and I shouldn't need a PW to log on. Good, I thought and tried to log on again. No luck! Same log on screen requiring a PW. It appears that the Registry Life software must have changed the registry to require a log on with PW. I have contacted Registry Life support with no reply so far. Can you suggest any way out of this dilemma, please, without me formatting the drive and starting over? Thank you.

Re: Can't Login to XP After Running Registry Life

Try hitting enter w/o putting in a password. Otherwise, reload the OS.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Well My first question is

Q: Whts the error u get? I mean does it say incorrect username and PWD or it seems like it is logging in and then it get backs to Gina

If you are actually getting icorrect user name and pwd
      Option1 : Download and burn ERD commander (pwd reset tool), it will let you reset the pwd
      Option2: Reinstall OS

But if you facing the second situation then the userinit value of your machine is corrupt
      Use Remote registry ( if ur remote regisrty service is running, by def its on) go to HKLM\Software\MS\WindowsNT\Current Version\winlogon
      and verify userinit has "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," as the value (u can also try excluding the Comma)

This should fix the issue
      Best Regards,
      Pledge Technologies

Comment

I've already tried hitting 'enter' without trying to enter a PW and I get the message "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." Also, as I said in my post I don't have the OS CD as I bought the laptop on eBay so can't reinstall unless I start from scratch. When I hit 'enter' again to go back to the log on screen there is a balloon that says "Did you forget your password? Please type your password again. Be sure to use the correct upper and lower case letters."

Pledge, in your question you say "or it seems like it is logging in and then it get backs to Gina". I don't understand that. Who/what is Gina? In my case I just see a blank PW box with the flashing cursor.

I'd like to try ERD Commander but can't seem to find a free download site. Is it free? Can you help me here, please?

I'm on a home network. Is there any way to somehow connect from my desktop to the laptop to reset the PW even when the latter isn't running?

Comment

If it's not running (e.g. no power), then no, you can't access it.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X