Purchased used Dell inspiron 6000 w/ xp.Has Administration lock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased used Dell inspiron 6000 w/ xp.Has Administration lock

We purchased this laptop at a garage sale.
    When we tried turning it on, it asks for an administrator password. The sellers didn't give us any password.

I just want to know if there is any other way to get into the computer because I called Dell Support and they charge a fee of $139.99.
    That's what the laptop is worth!

Can anyone give me specific instructions on how to unlock??

Re: Purchased used Dell inspiron 6000 w/ xp.Has Administration lock

With luck one of the 14,100 hits on will help you
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Specifically there are some "default" passwords and also hardware fixes
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If it's a Windows password, there are ways around that (HINT: there's a sub-forum for that). If it's a BIOS password, call Dell and give them the name of the seller. See if it matches who they show owned it. They won't tell you the name if it doesn't, but at least you'll have an idea if they really owned it or not. Otherwise the seller can transfer the warranty / ownership to you.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok I looked through google. Now understnad, all I know about computers is how to turn them on, get on the internet and access documents.

So, I found this way to hack the password. Apparantely it should work but I have no idea on the procedure.

It says to get the DOS propmt and then it lists these steps
        DEBUG hit enter
        -o 70 2e hit enter
        -o 71 ff hit enter
        -q hit enter
        exit hit enter
        Now I have no idea what DOS means or DEBUG.

Hopefully this will work, once someone helps....

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        With luck one of the 14,100 hits on will help you
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Specifically there are some "default" passwords and also hardware fixes

Comment

Valerie
          Does the password appear BEFORE you get into Windows (this is called a BIOS password) or after Windows starts running?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

Valerie:

Those steps only work on certain systems, and doing it on the wrong systems can turn it into an expensive paperweight. Also, debug is a very powerful tool if you know what you're doing, but if you don't, or make one typo, paperweight time.

Comment

Aw man...
              There has to be a way to get the password . I called this computer repair place and they said that they will unlock it for 60 bucks.

To Ossian: When I turn the computer on, it goes black then it gives me a gray screen and asks for the BIOS password.

Comment

Type in a password, hit enter. Record how long it takes before it asks for a password again. Repeat these steps. If the length of time has doubled. then I know what they've used to lock it out. If it is what I think it is and it's implemented correctly, no one can get around it.

Comment

THIS IS WHAT THE SCREEN READS WHEN I TURN IT ON

DELL INC.
                  WWW.DELL.COM

This computer system #xxxxxx-xxxx, is protected by a passwor authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password.

Please type in the system or administrator password and press enter.

ok wired i tried this a couple times and after the 3rd time of entering the wrong password, it powers off. but it automatically tells me its the wrong password the 3 times. It does not take even a second.

Comment

Remove the HDD and see if you get the same error. If not, then it's a HDD password which you can erase by connecting it to a PC as a secondary / external HDD.

If you get the same error without the HDD being in the system, it's either in the BIOS or on its own chip. Pretty much screwed at that point (unless you have a degree in Electrical Engineering).

Comment

The first thing that Wired said could be a solution, remove the HDD and install it as a slave on another system.

The other suggestion will be to install the OS (operating system) from scratch.. it's a bummer, hopefully with the purchase of the laptop they also provided the Recovery Disk.

Thanks

Bring it...!!
                      MCP (XP - 2003)

Comment

Try "Dell" without quotes as the password.

Comment

Can't you simply contact the seller and ask what the password is?
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by dpharrison View Post
                            Try "Dell" without quotes as the password.
                            Or try (without the quotes):
                            "password" (or "Password") for the system..

and at the next step,
                            "admin" (or "Admin") for the disk protection.

According to one of the posts in this thread; "those are the defaults for that password authentication system".

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

How to Bypass or Remove a BIOS Password by Removing the CMOS Battery:
                              The simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the CMOS battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a CMOS battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget alot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

Anyway, open up the computer case using a screw driver and locate the flat, circular and metallic CMOS battery. It should look something like the picture to the right. Some computers have this part standing upright.

Once you have located it, observe how the latches are holding it. There are many different ways to remove a CMOS battery but the most common way on newer computers can be seen in the picture below.

Make sure to power down the computer, unplug the power cables and unplug any USB devices if they are powered. The computer must not be able to get power from anywhere for this to work. Take out the CMOS battery and wait 10 – 25 minutes before putting it back in. The reason for this wait is because the computer can still store power in its capacitors even though everything is unplugged. The waiting period allows enough time for them to discharge.

Plug everything back in, power up the computer and enter the BIOS again. If everything went well there should be no more password. In some cases, if you get weird error messages during bootup now, you will need to goto “Load BIOS Defaults” in BIOS and save the changes to fix them.

If this method didn’t work, try one of the methods below.
                              From http://www.technibble.com/how-to-byp...bios-password/
                              Also you can try just removing the CMOS jumper. usually right next to the battery. Remove that for about 5-10 seconds and then place it back on. BIOS should be reset.
                              CMOS jumper looks like this;
                              Last edited by IceNine; 19th November 2009, 19:08.

Comment

Working...
                              X