I Have Forgotton My Password In XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have Forgotton My Password In XP

I changed my password after a couple of beers last night and cannot remember it. I am the sole user and therefore the administrator. Is there any way I can get into my computer to enable me to change it??

http://forums.petri.com/viewtopic.php?t=2650

Try and reply if you have problems.
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

I have looked at the links and read most of the site relating to this subject, but still not sure of the way forward. I am not really that computer literate so I was really asking if there is a muppets guide to solving the problem. I'm sure you know this but I cant do anything as the opening screen requires me to log in.

Comment

Two options.
        1. Have a few more beers and see if you can remember the password.
        2. Follow the steps at the links provided at the above post and ask questions when you get stuck.

Lastly, NEVER install software, delete software, clean up the hard drive or change passwords while having a few beers.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You could just restart your comp in Safe Mode by pressing F8 right when your computer starts up. It will look a lot different from regular mode. Log in as Administrator and go to Control Panel. Then go to User Accounts and change your admin accounts password. Turn the comp off, then back on in regular mode, and voila, it should be fixed.

Comment

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Maroo, Biggles 77 and Topper. I followed your advise and sorted it with ease. My wife now thinks I am some sort of computer boffin, and that all the hours I've spent surfing the net has finally paid off. I promise not to do anything like that again after consuming alchohol. Once again, THANK YOU

Comment

Originally posted by Maroo
              You could just restart your comp in Safe Mode by pressing F8 right when your computer starts up. It will look a lot different from regular mode. Log in as Administrator and go to Control Panel. Then go to User Accounts and change your admin accounts password. Turn the comp off, then back on in regular mode, and voila, it should be fixed.
              I must add something here, in order not to cause any confusion with the less experienced users:

Booting XP (or W2K/WIN2003) into safe mode will NOT, I repeat WILL NOT let you logon with the administrator's account and a blank password.

No.

This cannot be done.

Unless, unless of course, the local administrator's account does NOT have any password assigned to it. In that case, safe mode or not safe mode, you can logon as the administrator and not need to enter any password.

However, he moment the local administrator does have a password booting into safe mode will not help if you do not know that password (here come my articles that allow you to reset that password without knowing it).

Now, since many people think it's best practice to use a blank password on their local administrator's account, this is the time to tell you people that it is NOT the case. Using a blank password on any account it a bad idea, and this it more than relevant on the administrator's account (or any account that has administrator's rights).

Also, since XP/2003 knows a thing or two about security, it will automatically block access to some features of your system if it finds that you're using a blank password on your user account. This is true to file sharing, remote desktop and other features.

To back up my words I've added a few screenshots:
              Attached Files
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X