Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Square character filename in P. Nordahl's iso?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square character filename in P. Nordahl's iso?

Hi, on P. Nordahl's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD site I noticed there was one file on the latest iso file that was just a single box character and 2 kb. Is this normal, due to a Linux reason, or is the iso corrupted? I checked the checksums of the zip file and the Md5sum listed at his site and they are good. If the file was corrupted would the md5sum's not match? Thanks

Re: Square character filename in P. Nordahl's iso?

the md5 would not match.

where do you see the square box file when browsing the cd - is it under windows or linux ?

alos - where in the file structure is it
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying. In winXP in Windows Explorer the square is where the file name should be. Does your copy have this? Thanks

Comment

i dn't have it at the moment, no.
        However - i suspect th file is ok and what it's meant to be.

have you tried the cd to see if it works?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I haven't tried it to see if works. I have to put together my test system as all I have right now is my main system. I am afraid to use the boot disk as I could mess up my main system. I will put together my test system and respond if it works. Might take me a little while. Also I will try it on Thursday the 1st at school on an older lab machine we don't have the password for. Also when putting files on USB thumbdrive, the square file causes a copying error and won't copy. btw I am using WinMD5Sum to check the MD5Sum. I am using XP to copy files to USB. Using Magic ISO to open the pwd ISO there are only ten files, the eleventh file, the square file is not shown. When I burned to cd with Nero, the square file appears on the CD. When I open the square file with Notepad I see:
          "     l ;$   "     F   ,     l ;$  
          BOOT.CAT;1 ,  l ;$  
          BOOT.MSG;1 . ! !   l ;$   INITRD.CGZ;1 0  / /l ;  ISOLINUX.BIN;1 0   l9  ISOLINUX.CFG;1 .   l3   README.TXT;1 ,  ‘ ‘l ;$  
          SCSI.CGZ;1 0 ™ ™ l
            SYSLINUX.CFG;1 0 š š ` ` l  SYSLINUX.EXE;1 ,  œ œl0  
          VMLINUZ.;1

Thanks.
          Last edited by squire29; 27th September 2009, 04:49.

Comment

@squire29:

The big question for me is, "Does the software work?"

I, too, am concerned with oddly named files.

However, the proof of the pudding...

As always, back up your system prior to ...
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Well it cleared the XP admin password today in class. Worked smoothly. I am still a little wary that no unseen damage was done by the possible corrupted file. If anyone knows about the square file, please post. Thanks alot, Pete

Just having someone else post that they downloaded the iso and found the square file or not would be helpful. Thx

Comment

I downloaded cd080802.zip and cd080526.zip at the "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" site and both had the single square character file with a size of 2K. I'm guessing it's LINUX related.
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks so much for helping me confirm it's not on my side. Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X