Windows XP Pro Admin Account locked - BUT I do have the password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro Admin Account locked - BUT I do have the password

Apologies in advance if there is a thread already addressing this issue. I've read for hours, but there are so many people trying to reset passwords that I haven't found anything that might be an answer to my particular question.

My work laptop seems to have a keyboard problem, and I inadvertently locked the only account I have on the machine. Several keys are no longer working, and I didn't notice until it was too late -- the security settings lock the account after 3 failed attempts.

I have an external keyboard that I should be able to use to log in since I do know the correct password, but now that the account is locked, how can I get in?

Thanks!
    Bryan

Windows XP Pro SP2
    local user account -- Admin privileges

Re: Windows XP Pro Admin Account locked - BUT I do have the password

Is the laptop a member of the domain (therefore allowing domain admins to remotely manage it)?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Unfortunately, having IT take care of it remotely isn't an option right now. I'll need to wait until I can take it back to the office for their help because it is not currently a member of the domain. They will need to use an Admin password disk to get into the system Admin account.

I'm hoping for a solution that will get me through the next week before I can take it back to work.

Cheers,
      Bryan

Comment

Ask your admins for their suggestion - whatever you do should only be done with their consent.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X