No announcement yet.

Locked out in Safe Mode

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked out in Safe Mode

Hi, I've got an XP Pro machine on a Win2k3 domain which was showing some signs of malware infection. I had a helper scanning it with Malwarebytes for cleanup. He set the Boot.ini via msconfig to boot in safe mode in order to do a more complete scan. However, none of the normal passwords work on the machine. I usually always have a default local admin with one of 2-3 admin passwords I use but none of those are working. I've tried using the EBCD but that has not yielded any results. The NT password reset simply hangs on startup. I could re-image the machine but it is a shared public machine used by general faculty at my school and I don't want to do that unless I have to. I've read through the forum and all of what I've seen isn't exactly my situation (unless I'm missing it). I guess I'm just looking for a suggestion of what to try next? Install another OS? Purchase the Spotmau app? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jeff

Re: Locked out in Safe Mode

Hang on... I just found something on the forum about a similar situ. I'll try removing the drive and mounting as a slave HD. then editing the boot.ini file. I'll follow up with my results. Jeff

Well, that did the trick. REmoving the drive and setting it up as a slave on another system allowed me to edit the boot.ini file. Worked like a charm. Guess I posted just a bit too early. Thanks for this resource. It saved me a lot of time. Jeff

Thanks for posting back - well done!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **