First Experirnce With Lost password on Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Experirnce With Lost password on Server 2003

Hi, as you know I need some help. I have in the past had access issues with 2000/XP/Vista units, thru the articles like http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm i have always gotten it resolved.

But this is perplexing me.
    The daycare that my son attends asked me to help them get into their Server, it is a Dell SC420 loaded with Windows Server 2003 Standard. that is all i can tell from the boot process. The individual that used to manage the PC has passed on and the PW that they have for it will not work.

I have tried several free PW programs and all the article on Pertri. All the programs report either the blanking of the PW or changing the PW to a new PW of my choice. After rebooting I re ran the PW programs to confirm that they had indeed been changed. In fact i used [email protected] to change it and rebooted to NTPassword and confirmed that it HAD been replaced.

Problem is that I still can not log into the server. Always it says it is the wrong Password.

I am not expierenced enough to understand the differance between active directory or domain controller but i tried all artcles to be safe, and failed.

Is it possible that the isue lies in the fact that it has a software RAID Array?
    At lease I think it is software as there is no HD Controller card on the Dell pc.

Any guidence would be eternally appreciated.

-Eds

Re: First Experirnce With Lost password on Server 2003

Try using a complex password as password complexity it is enabled by default on install. Something like Password1 meets the complexity requirement. It has UPPERCASE, lowercase, 8 charactors and (alpha) numeric content.

A DC running AD (Active Directory) can be easily identified at the login screen. When you CTRL + ALT + DEL, make sure you can see all three option (click the Options button if you don't ) click the down arrow on the bottom line and if it gives you a blank option and not a This Computer (with a name) then it is a DC. If it allows you to logon to the This Computer (with a name) then it is a Member Server.

If that has you confused then I will post a couple of images showing the differences between the 2 but try changing the password to something complex and let us know how you get on.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What program would you use to change the password?
      And will it make a difference whether it is a domain Controller or not?

And do you think the RAID has any effect on it?

Comment

RAID shouldn't have any effect.

One thought though - it is possible that you are entering the password correctly, but that the previous admin renamed the Administrator account. Do they have the username as well as the old password for the account, or are you assuming the username is Administrator?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am assuming, though in NTpassword it reports only two accounts, Administrator and Guest

Comment

Ok. If there's only those two accounts listed then chances are it's not a domain controller - however follow biggles' steps to confirm this.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X