Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Windows CD required in order to make Spotmau PowerSuite 2009 reset passwords?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Windows CD required in order to make Spotmau PowerSuite 2009 reset passwords?

I read the threads and articles! I really did!
    I'm just making sure I understand...

I'm pretty sure I don't need the Windows CD if I download Spotmau PowerSuite 2009.
    In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of the program.

I just wanted to clarify before spending all that money since teachers in the U.S. don't make very much.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Is the Windows CD required in order to make Spotmau PowerSuite 2009 reset passwor

What exactly are you trying to fix?

I don't know the program but from the web site it offers (among other things) to repair Windows -- I guess you will need a Windows CD for that

Yes, I used to be a teacher (High School) and I know ALL about the salaries.....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Is the Windows CD required in order to make Spotmau PowerSuite 2009 reset passwor

I followed a link from
      http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm
      and got that program's ordering site.

So, I'm trying to reset my Windows Admin. password. I used to turn on my laptop and never needed a password. Then all of a sudden, it asked for one. There are 2 users, Kate (that's me, lol) and admin. I can log into "Kate." The password field is blank and I just hit enter, but the admin. is requiring a password.

This is my personal laptop. Other than assuming someone got on and set it with ill-intentions, I can't figure out why this would suddenly start happening.

When I bought my laptop, it came with everything on it. I never received the Windows CD, otherwise I would just reinstall and NOT spend the $50.

High School? sheesh! I teach 35 6th graders and love it.
      Thanks SOOOOO much for your patience with me....

Comment

What operating system is this? -- XP (home or pro) or Vista (Home or Business)?

Try the third program on the link you give -- Petter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor -- this is free and very effective

Oh, did your laptop give an option to create a set of "recovery media"? Most do these days

I escaped from teaching nearly 10 years ago -- now into IT training and consultancy so the same sort of job but with adults (who can behave worse than kids at times )
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

(ok, this is the 3rd time I've tried to post this... 3rd's a charm, right?)

It's XP home.

And there is the "recovery" thing. Unfortunately, in my panic at the thought of suspicious activity on my computer, and haste in trying to remove whatever said suspicious party had done, I accidentally deleted my DVD drive. I think I can download one, but am reluctant to because I don't exactly (or even "in the slightest") know what I'm doing. I'm sure you picked that up though...

I can't imagine working with adults. I would surely loose all composure and tact.
          Kudos!

Comment

Lets fix things one at a time....
            First, use the Petter Nordal-Hagen method to get admin access to your machine, then lets deal with the DVD issue
            But can you explain -- do you mean the DVD drive has disappeared from my computer (since I presume you havent pulled out the real drive and binned it) or are you talking about a DVD player application?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

All users on XP Home have admin access if I recall correctly. Should just need to go into the Control Panel and under the Users uption, reset / change the password of the Admin account.

Comment

I thought Home had the admin account well hidden?
                Certainly Users and Groups is not shown in Computer Management
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Ok... there is something VERY strange going on with my computer. I havnt lost my mind.
                  As of yesterday, there were 2 windows user accounts: mine (no password required), and Admin. (password unknown).
                  I just logged in right now, and mine is the only one. Not only that, but I went to where Wired suggested I go, and the one and only account, mine, is an administrator account.
                  So, just to be sure, I logged out of mine and typed in "Administrator" for "user" and logged on without a password. It was all default settings and even tried to walk me through a tutorial on internet explorer 7!
                  The only reason this whole "lack of password" thing was brought to my attention is because about a week ago I tried to clear a cache file and it asked for the admin password.... I'm not tech savvy or anything, but doesnt that seem strange? Could someone do that if they had remote access from another location?

Sigh... um.... i guess.... problem solved? lol!

I accidentally uninstalled the dvd burner. I need that to make back-up disks, right?
                  Sure is a good thing there are nice ppl like ya'll left in the world.
                  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside... lol...

Comment

Hi Kate,
                    I would set a new administrator password ASAP for security, plus create an account for yourself

If you look in C:\Documents and Settings you should see a folder for your old account (called "user" from what you say above)

Can you remember what the DVD burning software was called?
                    You may find it is somewhere on your PC still as most have copies for recovery purposes. If not, there are free alternatives available
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

You're the best...
                      Thanks again for all your free-flowing assistance...

Comment

Working...
                      X