Windows Media Center SP2 - Cannot Crack Password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Media Center SP2 - Cannot Crack Password

I have a Media Center PC that has been reposessed. Also, it used to be connected to a Domain Controller, don't know if that is important. The restore disks were not with the PC so I need to reset/crack the Local Administrator password. I have read the XP reset/cracking methods and tried many of the linux reset tools, with no success. I reset the password to 12345678, when I try that password it returns w/ an invalid password prompt.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank You,
    Chubbs

Re: Windows Media Center SP2 - Cannot Crack Password

Originally posted by ChubbyDork
    I have a Media Center PC that has been reposessed.
    if it has been repossessed then i assume you have the original cd and product key.

try to use petri`s article http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm.
    or backup the date and reinstall the software.
    cracks are illegal so we don't support it .
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

It was reposessed by a bank from a local business.

Yes I have the key but I do not have the restore CDs nor a copy of Media Center or I would have just wiped it and started from scratch.

I've tried the suggestions from the article and I have had no luck.

I don't need to crack it, I would be happy with a password reset... But again all the tools that I have tried (Winternals and many different Linux live CDs) have not worked.

Comment

you can call microsoft to get the original media
        Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
        HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
        the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

I wonder if there is a policy on the PC that requires the password to have an Alpha Numeric combination in the password. Try setting it to a different password with an alphanumeric combination with at least 7 characters.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Update:
            I called Gateway last night and they will not send me a restore disk

I tried changing the password to 4bCd3Fgh, still no luck

Have not called MS, has anyone else tried calling them for a replacement OS disk?

I also for giggles did the reg hack to make the cmd.exe come up in place of the logon.scr. I was able to pull this up, but I cannot reset the admin pw, create any new users, or re-enable the guest login... Access denied every time.

Did find out that the bank does have another Media Center PC, without a password assigned, that I maybe able to ghost to this one... Waiting for the bank to get it to me.

Any other suggestions? I do thank you all for trying to help me out!

Chubbs

Comment

Consider this a closed issue! The bank found one of the restore disks in a box of stuff that was repossessed. So, I have wiped the drive and restored it. Thank you again for taking the time to help me.

Chubbs

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the conclusion. It is appreciated.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X