No DSA.MSC file when reseting domain admin pw in windows 2k

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No DSA.MSC file when reseting domain admin pw in windows 2k

In following the steps to reset the domain admin pw I found that there was no DSA.MSC file. I searched the entire hardrive for it and came up empty. Is there another file name if you are running Windows 2000 professional?
    Background: This is a laptop from a company I used to work for that went out of business. At the logon screen you may choose to login under "local drive" or under the domain "cetac" . I have already reset the admin passwords under the local drive. Currently the only way I can login under "cetac" is as a regular user. I need to uninstall Norton Antivirus proffesional and can't without admin privledges which is what started all of this. Probably too much info.
    Any help would be appreciated

DSA.MSC is the Users and Computer console from Windows Server systems for manage the Active Directory in one server domain controller.

If you can login with local admin account you probably can remove the AV software!

You do not need to enter with the domain admin account on your notebook to remove that software.
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

I tried that (logging in as administrator locally) but it won't let me uninstall the AV program. When I try it just prompts me for an admin password which I don't know (it is not the blank pw I set earlier)

Comment

Re: No DSA.MSC file when reseting domain admin pw in windows

Originally posted by sead
        In following the steps to reset the domain admin pw I found that there was no DSA.MSC file. I searched the entire hardrive for it and came up empty. Is there another file name if you are running Windows 2000 professional?
        Background: This is a laptop from a company I used to work for that went out of business. At the logon screen you may choose to login under "local drive" or under the domain "cetac" . I have already reset the admin passwords under the local drive. Currently the only way I can login under "cetac" is as a regular user. I need to uninstall Norton Antivirus proffesional and can't without admin privledges which is what started all of this. Probably too much info.
        Any help would be appreciated
        DSA.MSC is not found on W2K Pro, only one W2K servers that are DCs. If you need it you can install it by installing ADMINPAK.MSI from the installation CD of W2K server.

However question is why would you want to reset the domain admin's password? Are you aware of the issues it will cause? Are you the domain admin? If not, is the domain admin aware of the fact that someone is trying to hack his or her password?

And last, is the NAV software installed in a corporate network as a managed module, i.e. from one server, and updated from one server? or is it a stand-alone module, just on that computer?
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The company went belly up a couple of years ago. I bought the computer from them when I switched from employee to consultant. Seeing as there is no company, there is no domain admin. Also, I do not have the CD for windows professional. I am likely way over my head trying to fix this.

Comment

Ok, so no domain admin, and no DCs. Therefore, there is no AD, and since there is no AD there is no domain admin you can change his password.

You need to work with the local admin, remove the computer from the domain, and create your own local users.

As for NAV - try this:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archi...hp/t-4621.html

and

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...e?OpenDocument
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Alright, i am still at this although I am running out of ideas and time.
              I followed your last links and deleted all symantec and Norton anything from the registry - although I was again denied access on somethings. Then I loaded the latest Norton AV and got alot farther but still it is telling me that I need to delete things from the registry that the registry will not allow me to delete - still following this
              All of this I have done with local administrator rights ( I also removed the local computer from the domain). So now I am back to the idea that I need to get rid of this domain altogether. I did some searching online but keep getting that I need to reload the OS. Is this my best choice??

Comment

Well, if you're already in a workgroup and you're running W2K Pro how exactly do you propose to get rid of the domain? There is NO domain, so how do you want to get rid of it?

One last thing to check - see if the local admin is indeed a local admin, perhaps you could also try to create yourself a new local admin and logon with it.

If nothing helps, try to grat yourself (i.e. local admin) permissions on the relevant keys in the registry.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X