Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My drive crashed can't boot windows, put it in external case can't access some files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My drive crashed can't boot windows, put it in external case can't access some files

My hard drive crashed due to what ever wouldn't start up windows. So I bought a new hard drive installed and formatted to operate, now my old drive is in external case and can access some files. The files I want to access are my pictures and word docs which were administrator password protected. I do remember the password and that is not the problem. I'm guessing mirroring won't work as I can't mirror a crashed drive post fact. How can access those files to transfer over to this new hard drive. There are also some pictures on the crashed drive that I hid from my self not knowingly and would like some suggestions with that as well. Thank whom ever in advance.
    Last edited by Lugnut; 22nd May 2009, 00:09.

Re: My drive crashed can't boot windows, put it in external case can't access some fi

Take ownership of the files.

Comment

Re: My drive crashed can't boot windows, put it in external case can't access some fi

I wasn't being funny. You need to take ownership of the files and propogate that ownership to all subfolders and files. Do you know how to access the ownership settings from the security tab of the folders/files?

Comment

Sorry though you were joking... No I do not know how to take ownership of folders/files. Will certainly try it though.

Comment

Give this a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Comment

thanks a lot, I will give that a shot.

Comment

That won't work the drive I have complete access to is this computer with no problems. Other drive has crashed and is not mirrored to this one so can't use windows to boot bad drive as bad drive won't boot at all. What I have done is put the crashed drive in external case and can access some files mostly ones I don't care about. What I want to be able to do is put my password in somewhere so I can access the files I want, it's as though I am on that drive as a "guest" and all my proper files are not accessible. Hope this helps you help me.

Comment

Mirroring has nothing to do with your problem. Go to the crashed drive, right click on the folder that you can't access. left click properties and then follow the instructions in the link Joe gave you.

Now if that doesn't work, perhaps you have encrypted the file on the crashed HDD. Is that what you have done? Were they encrypted?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry I should have given you some pointers. You're logged on to the computer as Administrator, the drive that has the files is attached to this computer via an external case so go into Windows Explorer, right click the drive and select properties from the context menu, select the security tab, click the Advanced button, select the Owner tab, select the optionsto change the owner and check the box to replace the owner on all child objects.

Comment

Ok, I right clicked on (Local Disk E the external right clicked on properties and all that comes up on the tabs are General, AutoPlay, Tools, Hardware, Sharing, and Quota. When I actually open the drive and go in to doc and settings there are 4 folders All Users, Application Data, Dave, and Default User. When I click on Dave it says E:/Documents and Settings/Dave is not accessible. Access Is Denied then an (OK) button. Right click on folder (Dave) preferances tabs are General, Sharring and Customize. All of which are a dead end and says 0 bytes 0 folders 0 files which is not true. I also tried putting that drive back in this computer and hit F8 or F2 forgot which but took me to all the dos options found nothing there, did safe mode and ran through a lot of files froze then rebooted automaticaly not in safe mode. Got to the boot screen with the Windows logo and the green processing bar underneath for about 3 mins then blue screen came up saying boot error shut down.

Comment

I also just tried to drag the file I want (Dave) from the external to this desk top and the "Cannot create or replace Dave: Access is Denied" "Make sure the disk is not write-protected or currently in use" I wouldn't know how to write-protect is and can't use it.

Comment

Follow this procedure (excerpted from Microsoft) to display the security tab:

To display the Security tab
                        • Open Folder Options in Control Panel. (Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.)

• On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear the Use simple file sharing [Recommended] check box.

Comment

I give up there is no check box for Use Simple File Sharing [Recommended]

Comment

What operating system are you using and is it a PC or laptop? If laptop, it is a personal one or a company supplied one?
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lugnut View Post
                              I give up there is no check box for Use Simple File Sharing [Recommended]
                              Type Winver from a command prompt and report back what version of XP you are using. Sounds like XP Home to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X