No announcement yet.

Want to change current user to an admin, Windows 2000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to change current user to an admin, Windows 2000

This seems like it's way more complicated than it should be, but the long and short of it is my dad gave me his old work laptop (Windows 2000 Professional), and how he logs on (I guess he's not very computer-savvy either) is with just a regular user not with an administrator. And I'd, of course, like to have administrator capabilities on here so I can do such essential things as download AIM.

I looked at the local users and groups and it lists three users - one named "admin" that claims to be a built-in administrator for use by my dad but actually just belongs to the "users" group, one named "guest" that's disabled, and one named "ranger" that is an actual built-in administrator. However, how my dad (and now I) logs on is with a user with his name and it's with a network run by his work (you know, when you log on, you have the three options, name, password, and network). I can't seem to find a list of users that's from the network so even if I could log in as the local administrator, I don't think I could find where I could change this user to an administrator. Not that I can log in as the local administrator because my dad doesn't know the password for it, and the CD drive on here doesn't have burning capabilities and there isn't a floppy drive.

However, I did figure out that this computer is on the same network as our home computer (or at least connected to it so that I can print from its printer and view its shared folders). So, after probably far too much information, my question here is: is it possible to log on to my home computer (where I do have administrative capabilities) and somehow change the account on this computer to an administrator?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me (or even anyone who took the time to read through all this).

Now that I've delved further into this, actually, I figure it's just easiest to not bother with the whole work network thing and instead just make a whole new local user that I can use. But I still can't do that without figuring out the password for the local admin. But I think I'm going to try to burn a CD (on the other computer) with the suggested thing to boot from and then use it to reset the password or whatever on here. Let's see if this works.

Ugh, so far, no success. I tried and also the logon.scr trick, but neither worked. I probably screwed something up along the way. Please help?

Have you read the article at the following link and tried those options?
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

I did, and they weren't working, but now I got to work for me, but it's still processing the password. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully it won't take too long.