I'm logged in as admin, but I don't remember my new password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm logged in as admin, but I don't remember my new password

Help! I changed the password per company policy, and though I'm currently logged in (and not logging out, at least until I figure this out), I don't remember the password I put in a few days ago! This is a server, so it's up all the time, but eventually (this being windows XP Pro) it'll need a reboot, and then we'll be in a pickle. Is there an easy way to glean/reset the password while logged in as the administrator?

Thx!

Seah Harrison

PLease see this Topic

http://forums.petri.com/viewtopic.php?t=2650
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Re: I'm logged in as admin, but I don't remember my new pass

Originally posted by Scatterblak
      Is there an easy way to glean/reset the password while logged in as the administrator?
      Sure there is.

Just open Computer Management, go to Local Users and Groups (you said it's XP, right?), select the administrator account, right-click and reset the password to something you WILL remember.

If I were you I'd create another user and put it in the local administrators group, just in case.

Oh, and mind the fact that resetting a user's password in XP without first knowing it, will in fact cause problems, in case that user is using EFS-encrypted files, plus all his or her passwords in IE will be lost.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X