Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on reset domain admin password

Hi All,

I am in a postion that I have to reset the domain Admin password.
    I have done my research and I am going to test before I get it done on the production server. The worst thing is that there are 5 servers and no one knows which is which .
    They are wins 2003 server so I have read over and over again this helpful artical/ tutor to be sure I understand in side out http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm

But I just realised that the DC server does not have the Local Administrator.
    And according to this tutor it requires
    1. The Local Administrator password.
    I am confused. Can anyone please help thanks

Cheers

Re: Question on reset domain admin password

Do you have any other accounts you CAN access in the Domain Admins group?
    If so, just reset the password in ADUC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for your response.

I'm just inherited this messy network, no documents, no labels nothing at all, but 5-6 servers up and running, and no one knows which one is which?

Anyway, I have done a test this morning, and found out that the Local Administrator that is meant in the tutor is actually the Directory Service Restore Mode Administrator account that is prompted when you promote a member server to a DC.

And it did not work when I followed this tutor:
      http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm
      I am still trying to figure out why it did not work thou
      but it worked with a script by Robert Strom, thanks a lot

Cheers
      Last edited by vdz; 26th March 2009, 12:41.

Comment

Hi All,

Thougth I'd let you know that I did it, it worked with the tutor by Daniel and the Script by Robert Thank you all especially to Daniel and Robert.

Cheers

Comment

I slogged at it for 2 days because I was using the resetpass.cmd script wrong:
          net user administrator [email protected]! /domain

I was working on the server at console, and it's the only box in the domain, so it's the DC
          I kept putting net user administrator [email protected]! /mydomainname

Once I changed that to:
          net user administrator [email protected]!
          <blank, no domain>

It finally worked!

Comment

Originally posted by vdz View Post
            Anyway, I have done a test this morning, and found out that the Local Administrator that is meant in the tutor is actually the Directory Service Restore Mode Administrator account that is prompted when you promote a member server to a DC.

And it did not work when I followed this tutor:
            http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm
            I am still trying to figure out why it did not work thou
            but it worked with a script by Robert Strom, thanks a lot
            Cheers
            Hi all,
            I gave the tutorial a try today and also was stumped by the lack of local admin access on the server - I was unable to select the local machine in the 'Log on to' drop down, and putting in servername\Administrator also didn't work. It would seem the local admin account was disabled.

After reading the above and the instructions again, could someone please confirm to me that loading up the computer in directory recovery mode and hence disabling AD in turn enables the local administrator account, thus allowing me to log in with the reset password (which I reset using Petter's reset tool)? Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can just go ahead and try at short notice, and I need to be fairly certain before I go ahead and try it out.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Comment

Yes -- ADRestore mode enables the local admin account
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X