forgot admin PW but no cd rom or floppy drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forgot admin PW but no cd rom or floppy drive

I have forgotten my laptop admin PW and cannot do anything but surf the net, and the laptop has no floppy drive or cd rom- is there any way to get the password back or clear it without any type of disk or cd?

thank you

It's going to be tricky. You can use several programs to grab the password from the local SAM (it's where the local user accounts and passwords are stored) but for that you work you need to have a copy of the file and the SYSTEM hive from your local registry (which you cannot access or copy because it's currently being used by the OS).

I suggest you use option #1 on my "forgot administrator password" page.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Note: You'll need a blank floppy to run the process.

Comment

Ooppss...
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Can you boot from a USB thumb drive? It might be your only option.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

so if...

if i buy a cd drive, will i be able to plug and play it so i can use the cd methods?

Comment

You should, just make sure the CD connects to the computer and that the BIOS will let you boot off it. If not, we're back at square 1.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X