No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 password recovery

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 password recovery

I think I know the answer, but want to check it before I make a trip to try to recover a forgotten password.

About 4 0r 5 years ago I set up my mother-in-law's computer using a no longer needed copy of Windows 2000. She is in her 80's so to make it easy, I set it up to autologon so she did not have to remember the password. This still works fine and she (or I) can turn it on and it boots right into windows.

I don't remember how I set it up to autologon, nor can I or she find any record of the password.

Recently some problems have developed and it would be much easier for me to logon remotely using LogMeIn rather than traveling to her house, but for that I need to know the password.

I think if I am there and boot into windows and go to the proper section of the registry the password will be there in plain, unencrypted text, correct?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I no longer run any computers on windows 2000 so I cannot check for myself in advance.

Hopefully it's this simple and I do not need some sort of boot CD but I do not want to get over there and find I need something more.

Re: Windows 2000 password recovery

Did she originally have a password or did it just boot straight into Windows?
    If it didn't have a password, it will now if you want to use logMeIn.
    If she is on as an Administrator account then she should be able to change the password. Otherwise you could reset the password by one of the options at this link.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015