Changed Domain to Workgroup and can't Login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed Domain to Workgroup and can't Login

So I just got a new laptop from work which was setup on a domain. I changed the domain to a workgroup so I could connect to my home network to backup stuff from my old laptop. However, now of course I can't login. I tried a boot disk to change my admin password, which I thought would work, but it's not. Still won't login me in. I think behind the scences my login still has my domain in there, so it won't login me in locally.

My other idea is potentially doing a system restore from a boot disk to return me to my orginial domain. Or is there any boot disk where I can change it back to the orginially domain.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Changed Domain to Workgroup and can't Login

Originally posted by ekirk4
    My other idea is potentially doing a system restore from a boot disk to return me to my orginial domain. Or is there any boot disk where I can change it back to the orginially domain.
    No, No, No and No. None of the above will work.

What username are you still trying to logon with ? By the sounds of it you are trying to login using the network accoutn given to you by your work.

You need to logon using the local admin account, which by default is named Administrator, but it is good practice to rename this.

Best ring your IT service desk and see if they can provide a temp login.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

D'oh!

I just did exactly the same as Ekirk. If anyone comes up with a solution, please let me know!!

Comment

Problem Solved

OK, my solution was to take the computer to one of our IT support guys. He fixed it in 2 minutes.

Apparently, you need to be a domain admin and be connected to the LAN where the domain is, then you can just put the machine back on the domain. So, even if you used one of the techniques described on this forum to crack or change the password, it wouldn't help you get back into your account. But, I guess you might at least be able to use the machine.

Comment

hey guys.

I have sort off the same problem, and I need Help Urgently.

I got a Laptop from a client. I needed to backup all her files onto our fileserver. They have a domain, so ofcoarse the Laptop is on that domain. So I took it off, and put it on our workgroup here in the workshop. Now, I cant log into it. They dont know what the Password for the administrator account is. And We Don't either. They got the laptop from us, but that was a while back, and noboddy remembers the password. I cant take it back just to put it on the domain again, and then check the admin account, cause they are more than 300 Kilometers (about 180 Miles) away from us.

NOw we are stuck in a jam. The guest account has also been disabled.

WE took the hard drive out, and put it in an external HDD Chassis, but When you try and access the Documents and settings folder, it jsut says access denied. and that's all. The system is XP PRo.

IF Anyone has any advice/ideas, please tell me, as this is very very urgent. Thanks alot.

Comment

Reset your lost admin password.

Search Daniels site\forum.

topper.

Comment

If there are no encrypted files on the drive, did you try taking ownership of the Documents & Folders?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yeah Tried taking ownership aswell. It just says Access denied. And that's all.

Gonna try a program bootcd to change the password now. Hope it works. wil llet you know.........

Comment

Originally posted by maplassie
                  yeah Tried taking ownership aswell. It just says Access denied. And that's all.

Gonna try a program bootcd to change the password now. Hope it works. wil llet you know.........
                  Ownership only works if you got full control of it.
                  The problem is That disk have permissions not to everyone read (default setting) settings butt only for domain users and local users laptop.
                  You need to access this disk on the previous domain or laptop...
                  It is the only way to go...
                  MCSE w2k
                  MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
                  MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Not strictly true, you should be able to Take ownership.

There would not be much point in the "take ownership" function if you've already got Full Control of the folder. You would however have to be a local administrator on the PC to which you have plugged the drive in as secondary.

As long as nothing is encrypted you should be fine.

topper.

Comment

Will knowing the administrater password help in this case?

I have the exact same problem as the above post with the laptop. I changed my moms computer's domain to a workgroup.(xp proffesional) It was formerly in an office and part of a domain, now the office does not exist. I know the logon name and password. Anyway because it is the domain is changed ,I am wondering that even if I do get the administers name and password isnt it the domain being changed that is the problem?
                      I believe the problem may also be bi-passed if I could get access to a command prompt (starting in safe doesnt help) and running system restore. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Comment

Re: Will knowing the administrater password help in this cas

Originally posted by orion77
                        I have the exact same problem as the above post with the laptop. I changed my moms computer's domain to a workgroup.(xp proffesional) It was formerly in an office and part of a domain, now the office does not exist. I know the logon name and password. Anyway because it is the domain is changed ,I am wondering that even if I do get the administers name and password isnt it the domain being changed that is the problem?
                        I believe the problem may also be bi-passed if I could get access to a command prompt (starting in safe doesnt help) and running system restore. Any help will be greatly appreciated
                        Since you've already made the change, and since you are now faced with a computer that think it is on a workgroup (no DC), and therefore it looks for a LOCAL USER or ADMIN, not a domain user/admin, your problem can be solved by one of the following methods:

1) Try to remember/guess the local admin's password.

2) Use one of the methods described in my articles (see links on the welcome note to this forum) to reset the local admin's password to something else, then logon as local admin and create a new local user with which you'll work afterwards.

3) Use one of the methods described in my articles (see links on the welcome note to this forum) to recover the local admin's password (see tool #1 on my Forgot Administrator Password article). It will reveal the lost password and then you can simply logon by using this password, and create a new local user with which you'll work afterwards.

4) Use some sort of hacking tool (I'll post an article on this issue later this month) which will crack your local admin password.

5) Reinstall Windows.
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

re: will knowing admin pwd help

Ok here is where I am after exausting my common guessing to discover the password for the administrater I went throught the forgot administrater password third party downloads,
                          1. windows password recovery (using cd iso) - didnt work
                          created another cd - still didnt work although I think it was trying never got back the list of names and numbers as explained.
                          2. Peter Nordahls - couldnt get this one to work either(doesnt do anything), I am fearing i cant write good cds or something, try to make another cd still doesnt work (using Cd burner xp pro3, by the way)
                          3. skip jack the ripper doesnt seem to apply
                          4. EBCD- finally something works, loads the menu, choose nt password editor, go throught the steps successfully until write phase then get
                          NTFS-fs error ..bla bla bal, sorry.
                          NTFSs............................sorry
                          cpnt: error while writing: Operation not supported
                          I go through variations with this but get same result
                          5. Astrumi- what beautiful snowy background on linux, but I digress, this software uses the same set up as the EBCD does , I go throught the steps after nt_pass and as in EBCD get similar results although it is not so polite as to say sorry I get the same results. I do try blanking and variety of passwords and go through to login to see if they worked ( i did the same with ebcd).
                          6. Bang head agains keyboard repeatedly- ineffictive, head hurts
                          7. Drink heavily- Computer still doesnt work and now my head hurts worse.

Ok the last couple steps were not recommended by daniel, but reinstalling windows seems like admitting defeat and I hate that, oh ya no windows software either screw those guys, Maybe I will now learn how to install some lynux and recover the old data. Anyways I suppose if it were easy to get an admin password what would be the point. Lesson never change domain to work group NEVER!!
                          Nazdrave Orion

Comment

Hi...

Not sure if you've tried this... read this on Experts Exchange:

Hi,
                            I am in a very big problem. I forgot my WIN XP administrator's password. I have an NTFS for my C: and FAT32 for D: . Hence I can't even delete the file C:\windows\system32\config\SAM from booting the system with a Win 98 CD as it does not recognize the NTFS. Moreover the problem of losing the admin password is not allowing me to run any network application. I am here on a Linux console. I don't know what to do. Please help !!!!!!!!

Thanks in Advance.
                            Avik.
                            Scroll down the following page, past the ad's, there's quite a few suggestions/links etc..

Worth a try m8...

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Secu..._20952711.html
                            1 + 1 = 11 ... honest!

Comment

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20348448.html

This may help too... seems more forth-coming with links on replacing the SAM info...
                              1 + 1 = 11 ... honest!

Comment

Working...
                              X