Lost admin password and cant install WinXP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost admin password and cant install WinXP

I don't know if this would be the right topic but here it goes. I have a windows 2000 system and i lost the admin password for it, but before i lost it i made another user account but i forgot to make it an admin account. so now i brought a WinXP disk thinking i could install it and it will reset or delete the admin pw butwhenn i was going to install it it said "you do not have administrative privileges to install this". So i was wondering if there was like a way if you could change the profile registry to make me able to install software so i could install WinXP. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    *P.S.* I tried software tools to try to reset or change the password and that didn't work so don't give me tool stuff!!

No I don't think there is a way to just edit the reg to allow you to upgrade to XP. i think that would cause more problems than it's worth anyway.

Only way would be to get in as an Admin.

I know you said no tools but have you tried l0phtcrack, since you can get into XP you can install this and scan.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

can you give me there site?

Comment

www.atstake.com/products/lc/

Comment

This will work for you, but follow the instructions closely, as the cd you will burn from the image shows 'all' accounts on the machine, and if you are a newby, it wont be quickly apparent how to work the software.

go here: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ download and burn to cd. ONLY do pw reset for admin... follow instructions closely. You MUST be able to boot from cdrom.

l0phts solution is very expensive and unnecessary.
          this is free.

Comment

i forgot to mention, that if you boot from the xp cd, you only need the cdkey to install, it wont ask you for the password.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim
              i forgot to mention, that if you boot from the xp cd, you only need the cdkey to install, it wont ask you for the password.
              He wants to upgrade, which I didn't think was possible through booting from CD, just running the upgrade from 2000. Plus when XP came up same problem.....................doesn't know the admin password !!!

topper

Comment

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
                lol im not really a newbie but i have no clue what to do with this site...lolol
                advice is needed**

Comment

i fixed it by booting from the WinXP CD and they didn't ask for a admin password. it deleted the hard drive and installed WinXP so i started from scratch -> thanks for the help!!

Comment

Working...
                  X